Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion I cooked a beer can chicken last night

I cooked a beer can chicken last night

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:15 am
dabigg raw
raw

I used pre-pakaged Emeril's Original Essence(in supermarket spice aisles)for the rub and Essence and a clove of garlic(in cube form available at some stores) in the half-can of beer(I used Budweiser). I put the can in a "ChickCan" rack and put the bird on the can and rack. Since I don't have the right height grill for the bird, I cooked it in a 350" oven for about 1 1/2-2 hours. It was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Big D well done
well done

Welcome to the board dabigg,

I am glad you liked the BCC, it is a fantastic recipe and even better if ya can get it on a grill with smoke sometime ;) Glad to here a little thing like 2 small of a grill didnt get in you way..

stick around and enjoy the food

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:33 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

dabigg, welcome to the board!

Hopefully you can do something soon about not having the "right height grill". What you made sounds good but it's still missing something, the wonderful smoky flavor of genuine "Q". What type of grill do you have? I'll bet we can figure out a way to get a bird in there. :wink: Maybe you can take the main food grate out and set a couple bricks on the charcoal grate and place a smaller food grate on the bricks. This should lower the cooking surface and allow you to get a chicken under the hood.

If nothing else, work it in the budget to add a smoker to the family...you'll love it! :D

dagdogg

My grill is a Thermos Grill2Go.

dabigg raw
raw

I'm sorry. That was me putting in the wrong username.

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:46 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

You're right! That grill has no headroom. :wink: It would also be a challenge to attempt indirect grilling as well, not impossible, just challenging. The Thermos Grill2Go looks like a good traveling buddy and great for tailgating, but if you're going to delve into smoking or larger cuts or even entertaining, you'll want to add another piece of equipment for sure. You might want to give the BCC a try on a friend's or family member's grill to see the difference.

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:01 pm
Rob96 rare
rare

That is why I love my CharBroil QuickSet. It has that HIGH domed lid. It is great for beer can chicken.

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:01 am
pderico rare
rare

If the dome is not high enough, and I am determined to do BCC on my gas grill, is there alternatives? Would tin foil work if used? My wife wants BCC and I want it to come out like it should. (My last chicken "adventure" was a real nightmare. lol) Also, the bird could be sprayed every so often, right?
- Phil
Chillin' and a grillin'!

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:24 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Phil take a look at THIS THREAD which takes about an alternative that just may work.

There is no need to mop or spray BCC. Mops and sprays are to add moisture and flavor. A BCC gets flavor from the rub & smoke, and it gets plenty of moisture internally from the can. Plus if you want a crisp skin, spraying would prevent it.

Hope this helps.

Return to General Discussion