Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion comparing smokers to buy

comparing smokers to buy

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:01 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

More great pics Z!

Well I woke up at 5am and firgured I'd just get up and get things going. Used an Oak & Mesquite mix of wood for smoke. The briskets took 11 hours to reach 200* (they were smaller than usual, only 8lbs each). I put a 'fatty' (a pound of sausage) in at 3pm and it's about ready to come out.

Wal*Mart had brisket for $0.98 a pound this week so we stocked up!

Everyone enjoy the weekend :D and keep it smoky.

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:22 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks Bob,
I hope your weekend is full of smoky food as well.
Jm42fan,
I hope your fest turned out well. Let me know if you need help or info on posting pics.

Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:49 am
jm42fan well done
well done

I'll give this a try. I started at 9:50 PM Fri. This was takin Saturday morning.
The Chargriller at work. I have a Maverick remote thermometer. Turkey fryer thermometer measureing temp at grate level. I noticed that in the middle of the night, when it was cooler, grate level temp was 25 deg. hotter than lid temp. When the sun was up, & it warmed up outside, the grate temp was 25 deg. cooler than lid temp.
Boston Butts
Chicken, Beef ribs, & baked beans
I used 2 large forks to shred the pork. That was only because, the pork was to hot to handle. I pulled some by hand, & it was SO Easy to pull.
My mother-in-law, wanted me to smoke some potatoes. Couldn't pass up the chance, to cook something else.

This has been a lot of work. BUT, it's been well worth it. The pork was ready in 10 hrs & 40 minutes. It held very well in an ice chest, wrapped in foil Most times I would replenish the coals every hour. Once I went 2 hours & another time 3 hrs( I fell asleep). My temps never went below 200. Thanks Z, & everyone else for all the tips & help. Everything was timed just right to have everyone eating, when we were supposed to.
Last edited by jm42fan on Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:14 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

jm42fan,
That looks great :shock:
You’ve done an excellent job. You’re truly a Char-Grillin expert now.
I hope you don’t mind, but I had to resize your pics, they were impossible to see.
Thank you for sharing these beauties with us. :D
Happy Char-Grillin

Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:33 am
jm42fan well done
well done

Thanks Z

I was just doing that. I came back to the post & thought" wow, I got the pics the right size". I wasn't sure what size was the best. It looks like 640x480 is the right size. It's amazing how the focus will look good on the camera, but it's a little blurry on the computer.

I also made the N. carolina vinegar sauce, with the vinegar cut in half. I've gotta find the R,S,& M book. It's the only book of Stevens, that I don't have, that I want.

I told a coworker, I was making some pulled pork. His eyes lit up :shock: & he said he would pay me for some. I'm not going to take any money for it. I'm trying to get him to join the board. He's got some really neat ideas.
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:59 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

jm42fan beautiful work! You were smokin' like a pro this weekend. Each one of those meats cook a little differently and it looks like you got them all right. :D BTW how'd the beans turn out? I haven't done beans yet but want to.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:49 am
willisamrhein medium
medium

Yum Yum, I want some! :wink:

Outstanding job! I'm glad someone got to "Q" this weekend. I was stuck at work and didn't get a chance to fire up the grill. Tonight, however, I will be grilling some 1.25 inch rib eye steaks. Can't wait. Only downer is that I'm just using the gasser due to time restraints.

I certainly understand about the pork being too hot to handle. I usually put on at least three sets of latex gloves. Works fairly well. I usually let it rest about 30 minutes prior to pulling. I do prefer to pull since you get more meat since you don't have large clumps. Does anyone have a set of bear paws? They look like they would work quite well.

Again, outstanding job. Congrats on a successful smoke.

Is that BBQ I smell?

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:16 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Hey Bob

The beans turned out very good & I'm still paying for eating so many of them. :oops: I used Bushes baked beans with onions. I added some BBQ sauce & a little honey. I uesed apple/pecan for the butts, chicken, & ribs. I switched to hickory for the tators & beans.

Willis

I used 2 large forks to shred it. They worked very good. Thanks for the compliments.
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:27 pm
Mason rare
rare

jm,

If you have leftovers and need help consuming it, I'll be glad to make the trek across town to help you out :D

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:37 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Sorry Mason

Very few leftovers. Everyone took some home. What side of the city, do you live on?
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:53 pm
Mason rare
rare

I had to try.. :)

I'm in Moore.

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:13 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great job! Great Pics! Great Food!
I love it.

I'm guilty of the Bush's tactic myself. They make good Beans.

willisamrhein - I just bought a pair of bear paws. I hope to put them to the test soon. I'll let you know how I make out with them.

Previous

Return to General Discussion