Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion comparing smokers to buy

comparing smokers to buy

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:23 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

You’re Welcome Adam,
And welcome to the Char-Griller family. I usually place the pans on top of the charcoal tray (I leave the charcoal tray at it’s lowest position during smoking). The water helps maintain a constant temp and keep the food moist. This is optional, if you’re smoking food that does not require much moisture, then omit the water.
Enjoy your new grill/smoker. :)

G.S.,
When we get to the winter months, I’ll share with you a trick that would maintain the temp in extreme cold.
Until then, let us enjoy the sunshine. :)

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:32 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks Z, I agree, I'm not going to think about snow yet, but once the whit stuff starts flying I'll hold you to sharing tip.
Remember evryone thought I was that guy from the TV commercial last winter. Sitting in the snow grilling. This year my dog and I are going to be feeding the chargriller a steady diet of goose.

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:28 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

:lol: I still have that commercial recorded to my PC and view it on occasion. :lol: It still makes me laugh! :lol: And I still think of you. :wink:

Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:03 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Hey Z

Thanks again, for the tip. The lid is now alined. Thats why they have two holes in the pins. :lol:

I'm going to do my first smoke job, starting tonight. 2 pork butts, beef ribs, chicken, & what ever else I can find in the freezer. I've just got to figure out what to cook with it. I'm picky about my veggies. I don't like Zuccini, sqaush, egg plant. I do like tomatoes, onions, peppers(kind of), corn & of course, potatoes. I'll cook the side stuff on the gas grill, while I'm smoking on the Chargriller. I'll take some pics, cause I know how much Bob likes pics. :shock: I do too.

I purchased an AcuRite thermometer. I wanted a remote one. I couldn't find one in OKC, that didn't have the preset temps. I can set my own temps, up to 392. I also puchased a turkey fryer thermometer to put in the small hole in the side to measure the heat at grate level. It goes to 550.

Once again, thank you for the help.

Once again, thank you for the help
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:33 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

At long last...someone that understands me. :wink:

Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:02 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey Bob...Most of us understand you...
Remember how it goes.
Hello my name is.....And I'm a grillaholic!

Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:18 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I guess I just don't get to grill enough. Now you put all of us together...and that's almost enough! :D ....and I'm a grillaholic!

Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:56 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

You’re welcome jm42fan,
I hope it goes well for you this weekend. It sounds like you’re having a great feast. I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun smoking all that food on your Char-Griller. For vegetable ideas, see my post under stuffed veggies. And you can never go wrong with a pot of smoked beans. I can’t wait to see the pix. Enjoy! :)
I’m so glad it’s the weekend. I’ll finally be able to fire up my smokers as well. I’ll be smoking 2 briskets, a 14 lbs turkey, and fifty whole wings. The briskets will be smoked according to “HTG” instructions, the wings will simply get a Cajun rub and on to the smoker, and the turkey will get the pork-fat treatment. I’m starting my briskets around 2 a.m.
Happy Char-Grillin :D

Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:48 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Man! 2am that's hard core. I'll be smoking 5 briskets in the morning but I think I'll sleep in until 6am. :wink: I'm throwing in a fatty, some brauts, and a batch of pepper poppers too.

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:26 am
jm42fan well done
well done

I don't know that i'll go to sleep. I did find a maverick remote thermometer, at BB&B. I might set the timer incase I dose off. Now you guys are having a feast. Have a great weekend. I didn't start smoking, till around 9:50 PM. I'll wait till sun up to start taking pics.
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:24 am
jm42fan well done
well done

Z You got it going yet? It's 3:20 AM here, & I've been up since 6:30 AM Friday. I'm hanging tough right now.

What's the smoked bake beans you speak of? Is that in one of Stevens books? I figured I would start the chicken & beef ribs around 8 AM.

I want to do some corn, but don't have anything but frozen corn. I was thinking of filling an aluminum pan with the frozen corn. Add butter, salt & pepper cooking it that way on the smoker. What do you think?

I'll talk to ya later.
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:12 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I ended up starting at 4a.m.
I’ve got the briskets going and marinated the chicken wings. I will start working on the turkey around 8 a.m. It only needs about 8 hours in the smoker. The wings should take about 4 hrs.
Jm42fan,
Yes, I was referring to Steven’s sweet and smoky beans. As far as the frozen corn, rinse them out in cold water and then let them set in room temp for few hours. Then you can place them directly onto the warming rack. No foil or pan needed. If the rack does not fit all of them, then pile them on top of each other’s. I promise the smoke will get to them. This will also create a steaming effect. To prep them, I usually rub them liberally with corn oil and rock salt.
Keep us update.

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:14 am
jm42fan well done
well done

Hey Z

I was actually talking about the frozen corn kernels. It's been a long night, but it's been fun. Got the beef ribs & chicken on right now.
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:34 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Jm42fan,
Sorry about the corn, I didn’t know you were referring to the kernel type. I guess a foil pan will do the job.
Here are some pix of my progress:
2 briskets and smoked salsa:
Pork-Fat Turkey:
I’ll be adding the wings at 12:00p.

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:30 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

I do have some pics. I'll have to figure out how to post them. It all looks good Z. As usual, your family will be eating good.
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion