Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion To mop, or not to mop?

To mop, or not to mop?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:33 am

I've noticed some of you guys mop your pork shoulders, and some of you don't. I'd be interested in hearing your opinions as to why. I'll be using a water smoker.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:45 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Serial Griller,
Welcome to the board,
From all the books I read, mopping gives meat moisture and flavor. The mopping process started with using smokers that didn’t have a water pans in them. It added the required moisture to the meat without having to use the water pan. Later people started noticing that it also imparted a nice flavor to the food so they started developing different recipes. If you’re using a water smoker, then mopping is optional for you, but not a must. If you want that extra flavor, then go ahead and use it.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:51 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Hi Serial Griller, welcome to the board. I too use a water smoker but prefer to spray mine down with apple juice each hour or so. Try it different ways so you can see which you like.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:23 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I generally mop what I am smoking, but I don't start to mop until my rub has set. About half way through my estimated cooking time. Then I will mop once an hour or evertime I open the smoker.
I smoke on a horizontal w/ an offset firebox which does not have a water pan.

RichD

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:20 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Serial Griller! (great handle)

Pork shoulder and brisket with a nice fat cap don't require mopping at all. I just did one of each on an overnight cook in Kansas City and they came out wonderfully tender and juicy with minimal attention. Although they don’t “require” mopping, I like the added flavor that the mop imparts to the meat. Wait at least two hours before applying the first mop/spray to allow the rub to crust, otherwise you will just wash it off.

See you around the board.

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:07 pm

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate your input. I hope you don't mind 'cause I'm just gettin' started and I have a TON of questions!

Return to General Discussion