Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rubbin It In

Rubbin It In

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:20 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I would like to get eberyones opinion on when to apply the rub. I generally apply it before I put the chuck, ribs, butt or whatever on the smoker. I have also seen the rub be applied to the meat the night before. The meat then wrapped up and put in the fridge for the night.
What is the general consensus on this? The night before or the day of?

RichD

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:31 pm
BigDawg rare
rare

I generally rub mine the night before. When I say rub, I mean rub. I rub it in very well into the meat. The next morning, I add some more rub by sprinkling it all over the butt/ribs, but I do not rub it in. To me, this makes for an excellent bark coating on it.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:36 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I apply rub the night before as well and wrap in plastic. Take the meat out 30 minutes prior to cooking.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:33 pm
Big Pappa rare
rare

I too rub mine the night before and put it in the fridge. I usually pull mine out 30 min to an hour before cooking to let it warm up a little before throwing it on the smoker. :D

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:25 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

There is a real good discussion on this subject under this thread: http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... t=rub+long

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:20 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I'm from a different school. I use seasonings on just about everything I smoke or grill, but I never rub it in. The most I will do is pat the surface so the "rub" is embeded in the meat. Depending on the seasoning used, either the salt or sugar are the transport medium for the flavorings into the meat. On brisket and pork I usually use a mustard slather and sprinkle my rub on top of the slather. The chemistry of the meat and slather act as a transporter of the flavor, and shorten preparation time greatly. It also has the added benefit of forming a wonderful flavorful protective crust on the meat being cooked. I can go from out of the fridge to in the smoker in under an hour and I've noticed no degradation in flavor, versus the more conventional method of rubbing it in, running the chance of brusing the meat, and having to do it the night before.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:31 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Thanks for the opinions. I was considering the night before method simly to save time in the morning before getting everything going. I have had very good success by appying the rub and or slather and rub combination in the morning before I start smoking. I think I will stick with what works for me.

RichD

Return to General Discussion