Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion NC Lexington BBQ on a Brinkman??

NC Lexington BBQ on a Brinkman??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:06 pm

I grew up in Piedmont NC and am a HUGE fan of Lexington style barbeque. I've got a Brinkman Professional Smoker - (and a gas grill). I'd like to produce wonderful roast pork just like I grew up with. My question is, I know the NC barbeque is slow roasted OVER wood (in a perfect bbq world) so that the fat drips down and makes that irresistable smell, how do I achieve that awesome SMELL with a smoker? I'm looking all over the web and finding how to produce Lexington bbq (sorta) on a charcoal grill and a Big Green Egg smoker - as well as some slow cookery and oven stuff - don't count- but nothing for a Brinkman. (PS : I'm an extreme novice - just getting into trying to replicate my past - mid life crisis, I suppose - shoot I haven't even HAD pork since the 70's and looking to do something as delicate as NC roast pork barbeque...now THATS how much of a crisis I'm experiencing...)

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:36 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Hi Everybodies Day. Steve has the step by step in his HTG book. As for the smell, remember the Lexington has quite a number of them going at once so that's to their advanatge. Steve has a rub he uses but the REAL Lexington only uses salt and pepper.

EDIT: Oops almost forgot, use a blend of oak and hickory. Wayne gets his from a mill.

After you read how to do it in HTG let me know if you have any questions. I smoke Lexington style pork butt all the time and am only bout an hour from the real thing :wink:

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:25 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Hi Everybodies Day, and WELCOME to the board :lol: ,

I'm not sure as how you would get the smell of meat dripping's on hot coal's when doing NC style ( Eastern ,Lexington, or western style ) BBQ. The only way I've done, or had, NC style BBQ has been by Low & Slow inderect cooking and not done directly over coal's. But then again, I'm a transplanted Yankee so maybe some of the other folk's here may know another method. I imagine it could be done as long as the coal's were far enough below the meat to maintain a low temp.

As I said, I do mine using the indirect Low & Slow method, but I'm a big fan of the Lexington style Finishing / Table Sauces. ( I'm not sure if using them qualifies the way I do it as Lexington Style or not ). If you haven't seen it yet, here's a good link for a ton of BBQ Sauce recipes, including several for Lexington Style... WWW.JURASSICPORK.COM

Also, as Airfoils has eluded to, if you haven't done so yet, I would highly suggest you pick up a copy of Steven's How To Grill book... lot's of great info on both Direct and indirect grilling and smoking. Don't know if this has been of any help or not, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you. Best of luck! TB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Return to General Discussion