Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Modifying and tuning my Char-griller

Modifying and tuning my Char-griller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:58 pm
Don Marco well done
well done

The new Char Griller DUO has way better thermometers of the same size as the original CG thermos.

If you want something else, i´d recommend installing one of those old smokey thermometers, just remove the old one and install the big OS thermo with a big washer inside the grill.

You could also go for a digital, like the cheap polders or even better, a maverick ET 73 remote that has a probe for smoker and another for food temperature.

DM

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:39 pm
bullfrog rare
rare

I would like to replace the "in hood" thermo and the Old Smokey looks like a good one.

I am also leaning toward the 2 probe you mentioned, thanks!

How would I use a probe to measure grill-level heat?

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:47 pm
Don Marco well done
well done

bullfrog wrote:

How would I use a probe to measure grill-level heat?

Cut a potato in half, lay it down flat and put the probe through the potato, then place that thingy next to your meat.

DM

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:33 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have 2 or 3 Maverick ET-73 and they came with a spring
clip that allows you to place the pit probe anywhere you want.
(As long as it's perpendicular to the grate.)

The temps, so far, have matched the oven therm I placed next to the probe for test purposes.

The range could be a bit better but some of the
walls and garage (vinyl) doors could be causing problems.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:23 pm
Bswilly65 rare
rare

Has anyone had a problem with the char-griller temp gauge not working correctly in cold weather?This is my third winter with it and I can't get the gauge above 150 when I'm smoking and it is real cold outside.(today it is lower 20's) . So really I'm just cooking blind when it's cold out

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:46 pm
d_holck well done
well done

Bswilly65 wrote:
Has anyone had a problem with the char-griller temp gauge not working correctly in cold weather?This is my third winter with it and I can't get the gauge above 150 when I'm smoking and it is real cold outside.(today it is lower 20's) . So really I'm just cooking blind when it's cold out

The CG stock therm, if that's the one you're wondering about, is notorious for it's inaccuracy, even in good weather... primarily, it seems, because it's so far from the action (12-15" above the food). If you've got it out today, you're really fighting an uphill battle to get a real reading.

All said, it might be a pretty accurate reading of the temp where it is, but on a cold day, you're interior reading is really getting blended with cold outside air.

Good luck,

Doug
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:56 pm
Bswilly65 rare
rare

Thanks .Thats kinda what I figured.It is the factory therm.I've noticed it does read low even in good weather but when it is cold it's really bad.I tend to babysit the grill alot but find myself doing it more on cold days because of this

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:28 pm

I found a link to a good video showing the Char-Griller Mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewLl6Rk5a6g

Previous

Return to General Discussion