Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Modifying and tuning my Char-griller

Modifying and tuning my Char-griller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Hey out there,
Can anyone help me out and describe to me how the little circular wire thingy is supposed to help me trap grease on my Char-griller? I figure you are supposed to be able to hang a soda or beer can from it, but I must be slow....I can't figure out how to get it on there...

Alternatively, if there are any mods out there on catching grease out of the bottom of the grill, I'd love to find out...

Thanks!

Post Sat May 14, 2005 12:29 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I line mine up with foil, so I really don’t need to use that, makes the clean up much easier too. But yes, you’ll need to place an empty can in the circle to catch it.
Why don’t you register and join us, we could always use another Char-Griller owner around here. :D

Post Sat May 14, 2005 12:41 pm

Whoops, that guest post was me...forgot to log in... :oops:

Thanks!

EDIT: Whoa! BBQZ beat me to my repost with a really quick reply...Thanks! I guess I mean that was my post, that is now 2 posts up....

:lol:

By the way, thanks for the foil info...that's probably what I'll do with mine as well....I'm in the process of seasoning the grill today...just couldn't get a can to stay on that darn ring!

Post Sun May 15, 2005 9:27 pm
Ishamael raw
raw

Hey all, new to the board and new to the Char-Griller (I just bought mine today, it's seasoning outside right now). I work at Lowes, and after looking at the grill every day for months, I finally had to get one!

I'm looking forward to a long and delicious relationship with the grill, it's my first charcoal grill.

A couple questions:

1. How necessary are the charcoal chimneys? I lit mine today without much problem, just making a briquette pile and then spreading it out.

2. Is there any reason not to use Match-Light charcoal?

3. What kind of stores carry lump charcoal?

Thanks!

EDIT: Here's a pic of it assembled in the living room, before I moved it out onto the deck.

Post Sun May 15, 2005 10:17 pm
cigargreg medium-rare
medium-rare

Using Matchlight is bad get a chimney stay away from lighter fluid. I would say everyone that cooks with charcoal on this site uses one. Lowe's carries "cowboy" lump I don't like it you can find a review on it here along with others http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag39.htm
Wal*Mart sales Royal Oak that is what I have used for the last year and I like it.

and welcome to the board!!!
Mmmmm....nitrosylhemochrome....yummy....

Post Mon May 16, 2005 1:40 am
weekend cook well done
well done

Welcome to the board. Youre gonnal have a lot of fun with your new Chargriller.

Dont use Match Light!! If you put Match Light on already lit charcoal, you will have a fire before they ash over. Match Light and lighter fluid also imparts a chemical flavor on the food, or so I am told. I have never used either to cook with. Get a chimney, and get a Weber chimney, not a cheapo one. Weber may cost a little more, but they are bigger and hold more charcoal.
Louie aka Caveman Cooking Over Fire.

Post Mon May 16, 2005 6:24 am
cmmull well done
well done

You should be able to find Cowboy brand at your store. That's where I used to find it. I use Royal Oak lump now, but Cowboys is okay. Better than regular briquettes.

Post Mon May 16, 2005 2:37 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the forum Ishamael! :D As mentioned Matchlight and lighter fluid impart a chemical flavor to food cooked over it. Even after the lighter fluid burn out it affects the taste of your meal. Soot coats the food grates along with the entire internal surface of the cooking chamber and the soot transfers to your food. A chimney starter is the best way to start charcoal.

Guinness10 if the loop of wire is underneath the CharGriller's main body near the drain hole then it is for hanging a can or bucket to catch drippings. The owner's manual also mentions sitting a coffee can on shelf directly underneath the drain. A windy day could cause quite a mess though.

Post Mon May 16, 2005 4:09 pm
Halfsmoke medium
medium

Hey people,new to board. Just bought my Char-Griller couple days ago.Bought the Super Pro & the Offset fire box and put it together myself to save some $.It works pretty good so far,but am still playin with damper control.I did ribs and chicken yesterday,and since i'm off today,I'm doing a Brisket!
Anyway.. I saw someone ask about the wire grease can holder. I tried to use beer cans,soda cans and even a "brake clean" can(i'm a Mechanic!)with no luck,then I spotted a "Marie's Salad Dressing" jar(12 oz).It worked perfect! It catches plenty of grease AND you can see when it's full! You just thread the wire hanger on like it was the lid and there ya go! I imagine a small "Mason" jar would work also.

Just my two cents!

Anyway,Great site. Later!

Post Mon May 16, 2005 4:23 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Halfsmoke! :D

Congratulations on the new CharGriller. I like the idea of a clear plastic mayo jar to being able to see when it's full. Great tip!

Post Mon May 16, 2005 4:35 pm
cmmull well done
well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
Welcome to the board Halfsmoke! :D

Congratulations on the new CharGriller. I like the idea of a clear plastic mayo jar to being able to see when it's full. Great tip!

And the best part....mess-free clean up. just screw the lid back on, and toss in the trash. No fussing to put it in some container, etc....

Post Sun May 22, 2005 7:48 am

Hi everyone,

I bought a CharGriller a few years ago and just recently bought the side fire box for smoking. Smoked some spareribs last weekend, turned out great! Gonna try a brisket today I think, get started early. :o

I've been very happy with it and am enjoying the wealth of knowledge on this site!!

Cheers!!
-Keith

Post Mon May 23, 2005 9:04 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board FireBrewer! :D

Keith, I hope your brisket turned out as good as the ribs.

Post Wed May 25, 2005 8:55 am

Thanks Bob-BQN! Brisket actually turned out better than the ribs, maybe I'm getting better at this. :wink: :lol: Nice smoke ring, great flavor, very tender! 8 hours total, maybe a few more could've made it fork-tender?

Thanks again!

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:42 pm
juniorRI

Have Had pretty good luck stabbing the tim or the ring thru the can as close to the top as possivle as opposed to squeezing it around the can., Stab the can, spin it around the loop and hang it. BTW just discovered this site and love it. Bought my Chargriller about a year ago and love it. Still learning all the in's and out's but have really enjoyed it. BTW part 2: GO SOX!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion