Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Regional bbq

Regional bbq

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:21 am
sross rare
rare

I've heard a lot about Carolina BBQ, texas BBQ, Kansas City BBQ, and some other styles. I was just wondering if everyone wanted to get into a discussion on this. What makes a different region have a different flavor, and what does everyone prefer? I'm a sweet sauce fan originally from Florida, but I don't know what kind of bbq fan that makes me!

Scott
3-2-1!

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:16 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Interesting, I think the difference in styles is because of the materials available in the different areas. For instance, North Carolina is the largest producer of hogs in the states, hence pork que is what you find in the area. Texas and Kansas have always been beef states, so that's what you find there. Oak and hickory are hardwoods that are readily avaiable in the United States so most folks always use them to smoke with. Mesquite grows like a weed in Texas so you see it alot in Texas que. Sauces and rubs have much in common with the food being cooked, mustard and vinegar bring out all the flavor of pork, tomato based sauces really do beef proud. After that local traditions and customs dictate the make up of the sauces and rubs and influence the way meat is presented.

Right now I'm an exciled Texas boy, I grew up with brisket available everywhere. It's my que of choice. Living just north of Carolina means all I have in the area is that Awful pork junk, Most folks in the area love it, I'm sorry but it just doesn't float my boat. I'll take a hunk of beef over pork anytime and everytime. Not really having beef available is what made me get back into cooking Que again. I hadn't had a decent piece of brisket until I took one off the smoker. It really made my Virginia Lady sit up and take notice and proclaim "You don't need to cook pork anymore" :D
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:07 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Nice points. I tell you what, if you want to read something mind expanding in terms of regional BBQ, Steve's BBQ Bible is your read. :wink: Read it front to back like a book. Of all of his books its probably my favorite because it has International BBQ. Once you start dabbling in International BBQ is when I feel you really start to make the transition. And of course, you can throw away your spice rack, because by the time you're done you'll have a whole cabinet (Now I'm sure Z will post pix of his spice garage or basement or office complex LOL, just kiddin :D

Anyway, I actually like a lot of Mid-East BBQ #1 for its flavor and #2 because it had so many influences when east-west trade routes travelled through. Sometimes I like to inject a Southwest spin on Mid-East dishes and it comes out well more often than not. But I'm a dabbbler and not much on exact recipes and such and it drives my wife crazy when I hit on something and she asks how I did it and tell her some of this and that. :twisted: But I worked at that, it took me awhile to get to a point where I was comfortable enough with spices, oils, butters, vinegars etc. to just happily romp through them as I please. Steve's books went toward most of that knowledge for me

Just try some fusion cooking. Find some things you like and then think about how to merge them. It's great fun!

Return to General Discussion