Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Item to clean stainless steel grates

Item to clean stainless steel grates

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:30 am
r5azzzy

Hello,

I have a Webber B with stainless steel grates. Weber told me to get a Staionless Steel Wire Brush (from paint section) to clean the grates and not to use the normal Brass Brush. I purchased the Steel Wire Brush. Is that ok to use?

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:50 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I use a brush with stainless steel bristles and it works great. I wouldn't use it on anything but cast iron or stainless grates though.

Here's the brush that I have.

I got it here:
http://www.grilllovers.com/shopItemDetail.asp?SID=&txtproductId=7790200&txtQueryID=&txtKeyword=&multiDept=&selDepartment=2&selClass=4&selPrice=&absPage=2&shopperid=P8UQG856JXSR2MVX00JP4XCD30SBACTE

It really works great, no more burnt knuckles!

Just a reminder with stainless grates, you can clean them all you want but they will never be that shiny silveragain. And that is agood thing. Think of it as seasoning like you would a cast iron pan.

Good luck

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:33 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Not to dispute anyone, however I do find it odd that Weber only sells brass brushes.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:03 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I thought the same thing too at first but what sealed the deal for me was thinking of it this way. A majority of grill are coming with coated grates now or worse even some come with those plated POS's. Anything other than brass will take that coating off, heck even brass will if you're not careful. So to make everyone happy all the time they sel the brass. Can't you just hear people complain if they had the coice and bought the wrong one!
Like I said I'd only trust the stiffer brush on cast iron or stainless. Stainless on stainless should be fine in theory. The proof is that this is what I've done and its going great. As a bit more, take note on BBQ-U, this is the same brush Steve uses. If it works for Steve...

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:14 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I uderstand what you mean. I agree with you totally. My point of view comes from being in retail and selling this stuff. Two years in retail at HD has shown me things that folks do. So many people out there are shall we say less than honest, and refuse to take responsibility for their actions. If I had a stainless brush to sell morons would buy it and use it on hot coated grates and make me give them new ones. Stuff like this happens everyday, you get tired of dealling with people like this. I always reccomend a brass brush because if I don't I'll get some idiot blameing me for his owner created problem.

By the way I also found a brass brush in the same configuration as the stainless one you posted.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:26 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I agree with you that great thinking.

Where did you find the brass brush in that configuration? I would be good to know. When I was looking for this brush all I could find was the SS. If I'd found the brass I probably would have bought it instead.

Thanks for sharing.
I always like hearing what our HD guys have to say. You guys often get the inside track.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:44 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Stop teasing us about the brass version and tell us where. TELL US!!
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:43 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I found it at a local rest. supply. The name of the company is "Spicers" It's the exact same configuration except in brass. They also had the stainless brush also. Brass and stainless are made by the same company. Retail on it was $28.95. I guess Yankee Bill and I have a lock on the two they had in stock. 8)

Return to General Discussion