Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The newbie is back with more problems.

The newbie is back with more problems.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:26 pm
pderico rare
rare

I have taken several peoples advice and bought the book "How To Grill". Great book!!!! Best cookbook I have see! Only one problem. Maybe someone can help. I followed Steven's advice on cooking chicken pieces. I marinated the chicken for about 8 hours in a store bought jamacian jerk marinade. The book says grill at a meduium heat (I have a gas grill) for about 6 to 8 minutes per side. Well... I tend to get a bit anal about directions and still... the chicken skin was burned like it was hit by napalm and the inside was not done (it was at about 160 degrees). I guess the answer is to cook them on low or by indirect heat for a much longer time. Any sugestions?

Also, a real dumb question. I have a Brinkmann gas grill. The knobs read (from left to right) OFF...High...Low. Where would medium be? Anyone know? LOL Is it halfway between OFF and HIGH or between High and Low?

Please HELP me. I am gas grill illeterate and want to cook neat looking stuff like I see in everyone's pictures here. My wife supports my attempts but I know she will get tired of burnt chicken very soon. LOL

Thanks gang! 8)

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:27 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Pderico,
welcome to the group. It sounds like your on the right track with diagnosing what went wrong with the chicken. Did you grill with the lid closed or open?
One thing to keep in mind though is that type of heat usually makes for a great steak. I like my steaks to have a nicely seared crust on the outside with plenty of pink inside.
This type of meat can work great for chicken too. Usually you want high, hot, dry, uncovered heat for small and thin pieces of meat. Steven usually uses the palm of his hand as a guide. Thinner than his hand-lid open. Thicker than his hand-lid closed.
Another question, was your meat thawed, frozen, or partially frozen?

As for the knob question, watch the flame on your burner as you turn the knob from one position to another. That will tell you where meduim is. You may even have 2 medium spots with the difference being that turning the knob all the way in one direction doesn't turn the gas completely off.

Burning dinner isn't always bad.....

If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:00 am
Rump Roast rare
rare

Wow, she can burn my dinner any day of the week. :lol:

pderico,
My brother in-law has a Brinkman and the Med setting is in between the High and Low settings. One possiblity for the charred exterior of your chicken could be the fat from the skin and marinade dripping and causing flare ups. The flare ups could create more heat that you planned and burning your chicks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jimmy

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:06 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Vinsect - If she were standing by a grill I think I'd be in love! Hey Big D how's that Calender shoot coming? :wink:

Since this is a chicken thread, I would be remiss if I didn't make a wisecrack about which part do you like best, Legs or breasts?

In response to the chicken question I cook my chicken at a lower heat for a longer time. I find that this helps keep it juicy and tender. And Always, ALWAYS cook chicken indirect. Chicken skin as it renders releases enough fat for vesuvian flareups to turn your drumsticks into Kingsford.

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:08 am
Rifter well done
well done

I just did a few beer can chickens last week. I had a problem, that the internal tempature wasn't getting high enough, and I over-cooked them. They were a bit dry, though everyone loved them. I had 1 chicken I didn't cook the night before, and did it the next night. I learned a bit (this time, run it a bit hotter). It turned out great. I have a Char Broil gas at home, and it is like yours... except mine doesn't even say low. :-) I have a setting for lighting it, then a setting for high... it was a week after I bought it, that I realized the burner control went further left, and that is how you controlled the heat, properly. My suggestion, would be to look at what went wrong, and figure out a logical way to fix it. Also, I would really look at the suggestion about a flareup. Flare ups have caused more problems for me, than anything else!
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:17 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

When I do chicken on the gas grill I use 1 burner set to low. I put the chicken opposit the lit burner to cook it indirectly. I find that it usually takes about an hour on my grill and the skin never burns. I sauce them in the last 15 minutes of cooking.

RichD

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:12 pm
hankgni medium-rare
medium-rare

Pderico, As usual I agree with most of what has been said so far, just a point, poultry is fully cooked at 160°F. Cooking it much more will only dry it out. Make sure your thermometer is calibrated at both high and low temperatures.

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:54 pm
sacmer well done
well done

I agree with Rich D. I have a 4-5 year old Weber gas grill with 3 burners front to back. After heating it up I usually turn off the back burner and try to cook the chicken under 300 degrees by the hood thermometer. I also watch it like a hawk for flare-ups which can still happen on the weber and adjust the heat down accordingly. It can take an hour this way but the fat seems to render nicely and the skin gets nice and crispy without burning. If I let the temp get any higher especilly with fatty pieces like thighs I will have a definate forest fire on my hands. The right side of my grill also seems hotter than the left so I rotate the pieces away from the heat as they get done and also put on any sauce during the last 15 min. If you are just doing boneless breasts then you won't have flareups to worry about and they will cook much faster and you could use higher heat.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:57 pm
Reidmid rare
rare

I'd bet that the burning was caused by flare ups, but is the grill brand new?

Every gas grill that I've had seems to burn really hot for the first couple of times . Medium heat may not be the mid range of the knob range. -these things aren't precise instruments, that's part of the fun of it all.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:57 am
pderico rare
rare

Thanks everyone.. My confidence was shot on that one. Did a pork tenderloin last night and it turned out real good.
- Phil
Chillin' and a grillin'!

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:59 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote...

Vinsect - If she were standing by a grill I think I'd be in love!

Grand Scale, I hear this girl only goes for charcoal guys. :(
Last edited by Vinsect on Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:27 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

DANG!!
Lucky for me I already have a woman who loves me even with my gas problem. :wink:

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:52 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

I was having trouble with the imageserver. For those of you who missed the second pinup, she's up now.
I think she'd make a great cover for an upcoming Raichlen cookbook. Or Steven could be the first guy to release a cookbook with a ceterfold.
:wink:
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion