Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion la caja china??

la caja china??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:21 am
LowRider rare
rare

anybody tried the "caja china" http://www.lacajachina.com ?????? How different is it froma horizontal barrel smoker? (I know the smoke flavor and stuff). But cooking time, can a barrel smoker also handle a similar size pig?

Steve....any input? have you played with this toy?

there was another BBQ grill (horizontal barrel smoker) featured in this monts issue of "mens Journal"...looks really cool with lower stainless steel doors and dual thermometers...makes you just want to "grunt".....

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:00 am
LowRider rare
rare

FYI: I think I saw "the caja china" being touted in a "sunset" magazine

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:22 am
MReynolds well done
well done

I saw someone using one of those on one of the cooking shows last week. (?) They didn't go into any depth on the cooker. Sorry.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:11 pm

I have had pig from this type of device in the mid-eighties at the Houston Fat Livestock BBQ cookoff - Wow!! I now have new one did half a pig (101#) and Yo buddy! :lol:

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:55 am
LowRider rare
rare

In the last week I have seen 2 shows that have shown "la caja china"...one was "food 911" and the other was "grilling with bobby flay" (or something like that). I only saw part of the "food 911" show and looked for a repeat of the show but couldn't find it. Hope it airs again as it seemed to be more in depth.

Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:14 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I don’t have this unit, but I’ve done little research on it. You’ll have to think of it as a giant pressure cooker or Dutch oven. It’s very efficient and cooks pretty fast. But if you’re looking for smoke flavor, this unit is not the one to get. It’s true; it can cook a whole hog under 4 hours. And the meat will be moist and very tender. However, the meat is totally isolated from the coals and the smoke. Therefore, it won’t have the grill/smoke flavor.
It’s much different from a barrel smoker, because it’s very air tight, and t cooks at much higher temp. You can do the same thing on a barrel smoker, but you’ll have to add at least 8-10 hours of cooking time.

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:28 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This unit was just featured on an episode of Bobby Flays show. It comes from China but is being reproduced by a Cuban family from Miami. The showd a hog being prepared (injected with mojo) and cooked. It really looked good. Very crispy, but like Z said surely not smoked. Not that thats a bad thing. I'm tempted to add one to my arsenal, they're not expensive. But it may be fun to try to build one myself.

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:37 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Grand,
If we decide to make one (and I’m seriously considering it), what kind of metal sheets would we get? And where can we get them and have them cut at? On the show they mentioned that the metal sheets were made out of aluminum. Also how do we keep the heat away from the wooden frame?
Let’s figure this thing out and compare costs if you’re really interested in making one.
Thanks.

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:51 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Z

Check for local sources at a sheet metal shop. They can cut it and bend it also. I would use an aluminized steel like Weber uses for their chimineys. Insulating would be a problem, I'd like to get a good look see at an original to see how they do it. After that it would just be assembly and fabrication.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:32 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I don't know how serious I am right now, especially since the end of the summer is drawing near and the next opportunity for a pig will be next summer.
Regardless I'm always up for some prainstorming and it will be a fun exercise.

I'd use stainledd. No doubt about it. I would build it to last and stainless gets the job done.
I'd build a drain plug in the bottom to make cleaning easy.
Insulation doesn't worry me, there are different types of foam board insulation that are fire/heat resistant (they have to be to meet building codes, plus there are types more so than others) I'd just layer that between the stainless and the wood.
Infact I'd probably stainless the outside as well. No wood to rot that way and I'm not going to get pressure treated anywhere near my food.
I bet we could even design a small slide out smoker tray that would add smoke but not significanlt reduce the heat retention. That would necesitate a vent as well but that too is not a major concern. It doesn't need to be big enough to regulate heat, just big enough to eliminate smoke to release pressure.
Add wheels and you're all set.

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:25 am
Big D well done
well done

these do look interesting.. maybe by next summer I will give on a try and see if I can order it to Canada. As for smoking maybe I could place a few smoker boxes in the box with the pig and then place charcoal on top .... smothing to that effect.. or even smoke it over an open fire on the beach on my cottage - long enough to give it a smokey flavour then transfer into this so I dont have to wait 10-12 hours

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:39 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks guys,
I was thinking stainless steel as well. However, I’m a little concern about putting any smoking device inside the box. You don’t want to trap the smoke inside too long and cause the stale smoke effect. In addition, there won’t be enough oxygen inside to support any burning.
I’ll have to research the supplies locally and see if it will be more costly than picking up one of those. I’m sure it won’t be as much fun as building one though. :wink:
This unit could also be used as grill at the same time. All you need is a grate with legs placed on top of the coals, and you’ll have multi purpose grill.

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:03 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BBcue-Z wrote:
Thanks guys,
I’ll have to research the supplies locally and see if it will be more costly than picking up one of those. I’m sure it won’t be as much fun as building one though. :wink:
This unit could also be used as grill at the same time. All you need is a grate with legs placed on top of the coals, and you’ll have multi purpose grill.

If I were to do it I know that it would cost more but I also know mine would be the Tim the Tool Man Taylor version. Bigger and More Power.

The grill grate idea is fantastic. I like it.

I'm sure we colud get enough air in and out to maintain smoldering wood chips and retain the pressure cooker effect. We just have to think of it.

Now all we need is a CADD guy to help us draw the beast.
I work much better with a drawing.

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:13 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

:D Image :lol:

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:25 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well that was easy.
Thanks Bob for volunteering.

I love it when a plan comes together.