Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled Lettuce

Grilled Lettuce

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:51 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I finally tried grilling lettuce. How many of you guys have done this one.
More specifically, I grilled belgium endive with olive oil brushed on. Its remarkably like cabbage only sweeter and milder. I topped it off with a squeeze of lemon juice too.
I'll have to try raddicio soon.
Also did grilled pineapple tonight for the first time. It was awesome, but so far Steven's grilled bananas with vitamin B3 sauce were better and cheaper.
I diddn't have any coconut milk, used cream instead. Will have to follow recipe closer next time. Really, I'm not complaining though. It was some of the best pineapple I've ever had.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:27 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Vinsect-
I've done all of the above. My favorite lettuce is Romaine, to make a grilled ceasar salad. There's a post on it here somewhere and picture in my Photos post. I love the salad this way. Add a few grilled shrimp or steak slices and you're really cooking.
I loved the pineapple, especially served over vanilla icecream. Great stuff. I used the coconut milk, maybe there is more difference there than we'd think. Give it another shot and let us know.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:01 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Vinsect,

I do pineapple in my cooking demos at the store. I dip mine in melted butter and then dip it in a mixture of light brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It's an adaptation of Grilled sugar dipped pineapple from Barbeque Bible. I dry the brown sugar for a couple of hours, spreading it out on a cookie sheet, and use freshly ground cinnamon, and freshly grated nutmeg. I've found that if you use a slightly less than ripe pineapple it seems to come out a little better and makes a better presentation.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:57 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Thanks for the ideas. I think butter would have been better than cream on the pineapple.
Bruce, I'd like to hear more about your cooking demos at the store. I'd love to do that at my store too.

I'll have to try that grilled romaine ceasar. I would have thoght romaine would wilt too much but I'll give it a shot.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:14 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Vinsect

I have been grilling a lot of lettuces recently and we really like the results. In addition to endive, try some radicchio and baby bok choy.

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:10 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Vinsect-
Brush it with EVO, Throw it on high heat for just a few seconds.
The key is leaving the root attached until serving so the head doesn't fall apart.
Good Luck.

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:35 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Last night we did a grilling class here at my park district. (I do love being in charge of cooking classes!). Our chef was the head chef from a local caterer. Anyways, we did grilled boston lettuce brushed with some sesame oil. Cooked it on high heat for a couple of minutes and then took it off. It was great! I was the assistant for the class. And of course, I informed all the students that the best place for recipes was HTG!

Dessert was grilled pineapple in cinnamon-sugar and grilled peach halves. Also had some grilled lemons to go with the fish that we made. All in all it was a great night!

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:24 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Stripegrill,
That does sound like fun. Is that something you organized yourself? BTW, let me be the first to congratulate you on a new flame. Your only one post away.

Grandscale,
What's EVO?

ThrRoff,
I love Bok Choy. Haven't seen baby bok choy yet though. I haven't grilled it yet either. Will have to soon.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:11 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Next to a good single malt it's the nectar of the Gods.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:36 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Maybe if we mix the two it could be a new baste?

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:04 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Vinsect,
Thanks for the congrats! Yes, I am in charge of our adult cooking classes, in addition to some special events, a 30,000 s.f. rec center and a banquet facility. Seeing as I am a grilling/bbq/smoking addict these days, I decided to get the chef and do a grilling class. Eventhough I am a gas guy, we did it all on 1 Weber Kettle. We started with natural lump charcoal and went from there. We had 12 people sign up and they have informed me that they will quickly be purchasing HTG and the rest of Steven's books. We cooked everything in shifts and then plated at the end. Lots of good questions, and because of all the knowledge everyone here has supplied, I looked like a pro when our chef couldn't answer!

Here was the menu (greatly influenced from BBQ Bible):
Grilled pizza with homemade pesto and marinated tomatoes, fresh parmesan and mozz.
Vegetables (carrots, zucchini, squash, lettuce) all brushed with sesame oil
Skirt Steak (4 lbs of gorgeous, delectable skirt steak) marinated in terriyaki
Salmon with pesto mayo
Tuna Steaks with blue cheese crumbles
Shrimp in sub sandwich seasoning (oil & vinegar, oregano, etc.)
Grilled lemons
Grilled pineapple

All in all we ate well!

Return to General Discussion