Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Shrimp wrapped in Bacon fiasco

Shrimp wrapped in Bacon fiasco

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:13 pm
Disco Stu

I made the Shrimp wrapped in Bacon from one of Steven's grilling books. When I put them on the grill the fire went Hiroshima on me and even after turning off the gas, the fire burned so hot and so strong that the skewers burned up and the food turned to charcoal. The recipe in the book calls for direct grilling on high. Any suggestions what I could do different next time?

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:40 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Disco Stu welcome to the board.
You have to be extremely cautious when cooking with bacon on the grill. As you discovered, bacon is the perfect fuel for any fire. Make sure the bacon dripping doesn’t hit the fire directly. Yes you will cook over high heat, but the fire doesn’t have to be directly underneath the food. Also make sure that you soak the bamboo skewers in water for at least 2 hours prior to cooking. If your gas grill has more than one burner, turn only one on, and then place the shrimp right at the edge where the lit burner zone ends and the unlit one starts. It’s a little different with charcoal, because you can set different zones. If you were cooking them over charcoal, you’d make sure the bacon dripping does not hit the charcoal directly by leaving more spaces between the briquettes or moving the food over a cooler zone. I hope this helps.
Please register and join us. There is a wealth of information on this site.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:36 am
MReynolds well done
well done

I concur with BBcue-Z on this one. Just last night the wife and I had a hankerin for a good old grilled burger. As always, I put the burgers on a high heat grill and manned my post with water bottle in hand. Any time the drippings hit the flavorizer bar and begin to ignite, I just squirt those suckers.

I would have to say follow Steven's 10th Commandment and keep a close eye on that grill activity. Give it another try and let us know your outcome.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:03 pm
502mids well done
well done

Stu,

BBQ-Z invited you to join, I second that. This is a place where you can share your attempts gone awry and not worry about being flamed (no pun intended!).

Return to General Discussion