Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Kettle Questions

Kettle Questions

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:55 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I picked up a 22 1/2" Bar-B-Kettle over the weekend at a garage sale for $5. Not having cooked much more than dogs and burgers on a Weber Kettle, I now own one and have a couple of questions. I spent all day yesterday chasing some new parts (in between naps :D ) I got the hinged grate and some charcoal rails and a Weber Chiminey.

In cooking indirect, the Weber chiminey says it holds enough for 1 load of a 22 1/2 kettle, does that include indirect or do you need to cut back some for indirect.

Are the charcoal baskets worth chasing down or are the charcoal rails good enough?

I saw alot of the Weber Woks yesterday when I was chasing down parts for the Kettle, are they worth owning? I can get one locally for $40.

I want to cook Barbequed Cabbage tonight and was wondering if I need a full load of charcoal. I'm going to follow the first load of coals with some lump to do a couple of porterhouses.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:46 am
WeberBoy rare
rare

Great find! I wish I would run into some of these Weber garage sale deals I always hear about!

For indirect I generally use about 25 coals per side. Of course that can change for desired temp and weather conditions.

I have the charcoal rails and have never had a problem. I have never used the baskets so I don't know what I am missing (if anything).

Sorry. Can't comment on the Wok. I don't like asian food..............

WeberBoy

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:55 am
Chicago SP rare
rare

I also think the rails are plenty, especially if you're using a drip pan, which further separates the coals. I start with a chimney full of coals and, depending on how long I'm cooking, add a few to each side when needed.

As for the wok, I love stir frying over the grill. It's fast, tasty and more fun than standing over the stove. I personally have an old, nicely seasoned iron wok that is restaurant sized (about the same as Weber's). If you live anywhere near a restaurant supply store or (even better) a metropolitan Chinatown, you canprobably get a big wok for less money.

Hope you enjoy your new kettle!

Chicago SP

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:45 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Most of the grill woks I've seen have holes in them so they aren't true woks, they're more grill baskets. I have never had the need for one so I can't tell you how they work. A true wok on the other hand need serious heat to be used effectively. Like direct flame heat. I've used mine before over a turkey fryer with great results.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:50 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I checked the owners manual for a Kettle when I was working yesterday, and Weber reccomends 58 briquettes for direct cooking and 50 for indirect adding 12 coals to each side every hour of cooking.

The thing I like about the wok is that it is made from stainless and should be easy to clean. I'll have to check one out and see if it has holes or not. If it's a true wok I'll probablly add it to the collection.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:19 am
s0ber raw
raw

the weber wok is stainless steel, no holes, you take out the food grate out of your kettle and it fits right into place directly over the coals. I've seen it used many times on "Grilling Maestros" on a local PBS station. It looks neat if you plan on doing alot of stir-fry and stuff.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:11 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

DarkRubiTJ wrote:
I picked up a 22 1/2" Bar-B-Kettle over the weekend at a garage sale for $5. Not having cooked much more than dogs and burgers on a Weber Kettle, I now own one and have a couple of questions. I spent all day yesterday chasing some new parts (in between naps :D ) I got the hinged grate and some charcoal rails and a Weber Chiminey.

In cooking indirect, the Weber chiminey says it holds enough for 1 load of a 22 1/2 kettle, does that include indirect or do you need to cut back some for indirect.

Depends on what you're cooking and if it's briquettes or lump or wood. In any case, yes one chimney is good and in some instances more is needed not less so it's always good to have 2 chimneys. Pick up a warming rack too. It's a great accessory for toasting garlic bread and of course keeping things warm while you finish grilling the meal. The tool hook and slide aside lid holder are also nice inexpensive accessories that will enhance your expereince on the Bar-B-Kettle. I have a Bar-B-Kettle that is well over a decade old now and I use it primarily as my rotisserie.

DarkRubiTJ wrote:
Are the charcoal baskets worth chasing down or are the charcoal rails good enough?.

The rails are all you need to start with. The stamped baskets get clogged.

DarkRubiTJ wrote:
I saw alot of the Weber Woks yesterday when I was chasing down parts for the Kettle, are they worth owning? I can get one locally for $40.

I'd be inclined to advise you to pick up a square grill wok instead. The Weber wok covers the whole grill so you don't have area for any other food and besides your flipper is square ended most likely which doesn't work well in a rounded wok. JMHO and my personal preference. You can pick these up at Evil Orange Empire for about $12.00 and they are easier to get food out of with your square flipper.

When you're wokking use lump and a good pile of it. Use zones and primarliy cook over the hottest part or summit of your pile. Oil the wok before cooking in it.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:52 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

I've got a grill skillet that up until now has sat unused in a kitchen cabinet, I'll use it for now.

I love the "Evil Orange Empire" comment. If only you knew, if ONLY :twisted:

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:37 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

DarkRubiTJ,

Lots of good advice posted here, so enjoy experimenting. My advice is to pick a brand of charcoal and use it consistently to experiment with amounts and placement. Keep a good log of what you do.

I bought some baskets for my kettle, but I find they are not worth the effort. I find it easier to simply bank the coals on one side with drip pans on the other for indirect cooking. I don’t count things, but, using Kingsford briquettes, I would guess I put about a dozen on one side and another dozen in the chimney. When they are all glowing, I am ready to cook.

The best accessory for me is the hinged cooking grate. It makes it easy to add fuel, especially wood chips or chunks, and of course more charcoal. The other accessory I am enjoying is the rotisserie attachment

Return to General Discussion