Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion cover the grill?

cover the grill?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:22 pm
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey guys.... well, I'm going to be buying a Weber Performer grill and I'm very excited about it. :D Now I had a question for ya regarding doing steaks and whatnot... I hope this doesn't sound silly or stupid... but I was wondering, when you grill a steak, what would be the proper rule regarding closing the lid while grilling? Whenever we do barbecue at my dad's on his gas grill, we put the meat on the grill and close the lid. Is that wrong? When using my new charcoal grill, would that be wrong or right? What are the principles I should be aware of here? If you are using wood chips for flavor from the smoke, you need to close the lid to really capture the essence of the smoke, right?

Thanks,

Trev :)

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:21 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

On the show, Steven has said that a general rule of thumb is that if your meat is thicker than your hand, you close the grill, and vise versa. There is no exact way or science about it and you won't ruin a steak or burger if you grill with an open lid. On the wood chips, you are right in closing the grill to capture the smokey flavor. Always open the top vent to get good ventilation though.
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:24 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey Trav-
Don't feel silly this is an often asked question. In fact check out this recent thread for more info.
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=993&highlight=lid
It should answer any questions you may have.
And yes, when smoking the lid needs to be down.

Good Luck.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:15 pm
jayshaw91 medium-rare
medium-rare

I've always thrown the lid on my Weber for everything from steaks to burgers, mainly to get the highly smokey flavor. But, as people talk about, it's tough to get below medium for me because closing the lid bakes the steak some from what I'm reading.

I'm curious on the searing method, so next time I think I'll give that a run and see how much better I like that and just take it from there. If Sear = "yum", then
cover = no more
Else
cover = forever more

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:23 am
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

Thanks guys for the tips and the link to the info... you know it's funny how the BBQ Bible and this forum have quickly begun to change the way I grill. I've been enjoying BBQ food all my life (i'm 28), but now I am really learning to do things the right way. And it pays off big time. That tip about meat being as thick as yer hand is a great one and easy to remember. Thing I love is that these aren't solid rules, but the knowledge only helps you do a better job.

Thanks again,

Trev

p.s. all you guys on this forum rock!! :wink:

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:25 am
vfxtrev medium-rare
medium-rare

if you read my post above, you might think i'm 2..... hehehe.... i'm 28.... but for some reason the 8 was replaced by an emoticon -- too funny...

Trev

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:05 am
Big D well done
well done

I go by the rule of its thicker than your hand close the lid except with steaks... I like my steaks seared on the outside (I am a blue rare fan) and this is much better with the lid opend for the following reasons:

1.) Eaecially with a charcoal grill the lid open will allow more oxygen hence a hotter burning fire
2) With such little cooking time to sear a steak alot of attention is required and having an open lid allows me to control the steaks cooking with easier

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:42 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You're welcome Trev! Glad you like it here, its the people that make the board.
Hope to see you stick around.

Return to General Discussion