Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cups of Coriander

Cups of Coriander

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:56 am

WHile the weather holds I did two Qs over the weekend using my new How to Grill book and the Weber Genesis Gold.

First off was the Fresh West Indian Snapper Recipie but using Fresh Irish Sea Bass instead. I also did the smoked baked potatoes. I started too late in the day and by the time the smoker pouch was belching and the potatoes were done the fish was ready to cook and the kids were ready for bed. The fish was great but not appreciated due to the rush to eat.....

The next day I did the Garlic Halibut using Hake instead. This time I learnt my lesson with the Kids and did the Q in the afternoon for Lunch - it was lovely. This time I par-boiled the potatoes and grilled some peppers. The fillet of fish was great - that fish sauce and chinese rice wine really making a difference to the flavour.

A few questions though:
1, I only now realise that Cilantro is aka Coriander. My Asian food store even made a few telephone calls in an effort to find out what Cilantro was. They had loads of Coriander in the shop but I used parsley left over from the Sea Bass and it was great.
2, HTG keeps talking about a Cup of this and a 1/2 cup of that......what's a Cup in metric? We use Mugs to drink out of which I imagine are a bit larger than a cup.....as a result I think I may have been a bit heavy on the fish sauce.....put perhaps the parsley was very waterey - eitherway my marinade was very liquid.
3. My Smoked Potatoes had potential but how do you usually set about getting bacon fat? Do you get it from a butcher if he has it or cut the rind off a few rashers and (how do you) melt it down?

Roll on the localised european versions of Steve Raichlen BBQ cook books.

Finally, my smoker pouch often goes on fire. The hood of the grill has even buckled a bit from the heat on the left hand side. I soak the chips for as long as possilbe, put them in a pouch on the grill under the grate, start the gas, close the lid and leave it for about 30 mins. I guess more practice.......only thing is that I can only find Hickory chips over here....

That's all for now.......I need to think what to try next......my ambition has no limit.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:50 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Congrats on your first outing.
I didn't realize that either but you're right...
Cilantro - pronounced [sih-LAHN-troh]
This member of the carrot family is also referred to as Chinese Parsley and Coriander. It is actually the leaves (and stems) of the Coriander plant. Cilantro has a very pungent odor and is widely used in Mexican, Caribbean and Asian cooking. The Cilantro leaves look a bit like flat Italian parsley and in fact are related.
So there you go.

Any herb or lettuce you wash should be patted dry or even spun to remove excess water, but a little shouldn't hurt. I'm not familliar with that particullar marinade but some marinades are thin. Maybe someone else will have some insight.

Here are some quick conversions for you.
1 Cup = 1/2 pint or 237 mL
1 liquid oz = 30 mL
1 lb = .45 kg
1 oz = 28 g

Bacon fat in a solid state is available from your butcher as fatback. Or if you want the fat as a shortening or liquid the best way I know how is to make a big batch of BLT sandwiches and save the fat that way. It's a tough job but someone's got to do it. :wink:

And finally once the smoke pouch starts smokeing, turn the heat off from under it. The wood itself combined with te raiand heat should be enough to keep it going.

One last thing, consider joining and sticking around, enjoy the insanity.

Good luck.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:44 am
Big D well done
well done

I guess thats another good thing about living in Canada, we are Metric aswell so most things are sold in metric units but since we are neighbours with the states most things also are sold in American Imperial and have the conversions right on them... all my cookware is this way so no need to find a conversion chart ;)

As for Bacon fat, I agree. When ever I cook bacon for anypurpose I save it in a jar.. in fact I always have an empty jar near the stove top because I am always cooking bacon and always using the fat later on.

Good luck with future cookouts and enjoy mate... oh and as Grand Scale mentioned, stick around and enjoy the insanity

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:18 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

To expand a bit on what Grand said, here are a few more metric equivalents

15ml=1 TBSP=1/16 cup
30ml= 2 TBSP=1/8 cup
59ml= 4 TBSP=1/4 cup
79ml= 5 TBSP=1/3 cup
118ml=8 TBSP=1/2 cup
158ml=11TBSP=2/3 cup
177ml=12 TBSP=3/4 cup

Cilantro is a powerful herb, if you are going to err, err on the too little side of the reciepe. Using too much, the flavor will over power almost all other ingredients, approach the edge with caution.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:36 am

Thanks for the replies....

I was pronouncing it Kil-ant-throw so perhaps that's another reason why they didn't cop on Cilantro was actually that heap of Corriander right next to us as we spoke.

So a cup is a half pint....I can imagine asking the barman for two Cups of Guinness please!

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:46 am

Btw, Guest in this thread is MrTrat but for some reason (and I am logged in) I'm not being recognised. The submit button is a bit erratic and doesn't always work first time, or second, or third...in fact if this works I'll have closed the browser, reopenend it and tried a fourth time. The website should also log me on automatically but doesn't.....my browser is set to accept third and first party cookies....hmmmm

Still it doesn't work and I'm close to giving up having managed to post a few minutes ago as Guest....perhaps if I delete the username field....

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:46 am

that worked

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:48 am
MrTrat rare
rare

this is MrTrat

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:52 am
PaulP well done
well done

MrTrat - click the "Log Me In Autromatically" button when you log in. Otherwise you will be logged off after a brief time. Automatic login when coming to the site is erratic for me also. It seems to be related to the amount of time since I last logged in manually. Once this reaches a month or so, it stops logging me in until I do ir manually again.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:04 pm
s0ber raw
raw

Hey Guys, I just wanted to correct you on one thing. Corriander is a spice/seed that when planted, grows into cilantro which is a herb. They offer 2 completely diffrent flavors so i wouldnt go changing em around unless you want to change the outcome of your recipie.

Return to General Discussion