Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Has anyone retrofitted a grill to take pellets?

Has anyone retrofitted a grill to take pellets?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Rifter well done
well done

I have been reading about the pellet grills, and I think that it would be very cool to figure out a way to easilly add/remove a pellet auger to my grill. I am getting a Chargriller, and after looking at the Traeger Grills site, and think it would be cool to add one of these pellet augers to my grill, fo doing some smoking during the afternoon when I am at work, and can't stay around and babysit it all day. Does anyone know where to just get that auger piece, or know of an equivalent? I have access to a machine shop, so retrofitting isn't a big deal. The key for me, is to make it easy to swap out.
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:18 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Rifter,
Welcome to the board. I have a Chargriller and I love it. The temp control is a breeze once when you learn all about this grill. I think it would be a shame to convert it, but if you must; here is a link to converting a horizontal smoker using a propane burner : http://gassmoker.com/Afterburner_H.htm . I don’t know of anyway to convert it to use pellets. I have looked at the Traeger Grills and they look very nice and handy, but they cost more than I wanted to spend. I also have a gas smoker, and I use it when I smoke things overnight, and it does not require much attending to. When I smoke in my Chargriller using the side firebox, I only add coals once every 3-4 hours. The temp remains pretty constant, and it does not require much attending to as well. I hope you’d give it a chance before converting it.
Good Luck.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:04 am
Rifter well done
well done

Thanks for the welcome.

I didn't know it would hold that long. That is good to know. I can make it home during lunch, and put some wood on. My thought, for converting to the pellets is to be easy to install, AND remove. It would not be my primary use, more of an easier way to throw some meat on, and let it cook all day while I am at work. :-) Thanks for the link.
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:05 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I don't know if this counts as a retrofit, but it claims to add smoke.

I don't think it generates the heat just the flavor.

www.smoke-pistol.com

Maybe you could add the mechanism from a Bradley Smoker to your existing

www.bradleysmoker.com

Does Traeger offer an aftermarket conversion kit?
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:08 pm
Reidmid rare
rare

I haven't seen the pellet thing used for grills. Neat idea.

I'm aware that pellet fired heating is growing in europe and steadily replacing oil based heating. There is also a push to start using this technology here in the US for residential heaters.

It would be awsome if I could junk my oil fired boiler, replace it with a new pellet fired boiler and share the fuel with the grill.

Thanks for the info.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:58 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Heat the house AND smoke dinner!

Now that's multi-tasking!! :o
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:47 pm
Rifter well done
well done

Hey... yea... and I could continue grilling on through the winter!! :-) Actually, Traeger has a very cool built in grill that I would love to put in. :-)
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Return to General Discussion