Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First Cook on the Bandera

First Cook on the Bandera

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:52 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

A couple of quick observations.

1. Boy you can stack it in in this puppy. Put a 5 lb turkey breast in, 7 lbs of country ribs, and a 3 lb rack of loin ribs and it didn't even holler. Had enough room left for a couple of full size briskets and more.

2. It definitly needs a couple of mods. Most important an expanded metal wood grate. It has the same problem my Black Diamond had, after a couple of loads of charcoal the ash tray fills up and the fire won't breathe right. The firebox baffle will help even out temps. in the smoker box. Also seen a mod using fireplace tape to seal the doors to the firebox and smoker that would probablly help also.

Good news first batch of country ribs are getting done and they are out of this world :D
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:58 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

DarkRubiTJ, Great to hear the good news! I'm jealous!!! I've still got weeks of sanding (unless I can get it blasted cheap) to remove rust and lighter fluid soot. Hopefully I'll be joining you soon.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:13 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

What parts are you in need of, Bob? I've got a parts stash, that I've been reluctant to declare. :D I'm just waiting for the store to mark it down to the price I want to pay. I've got a smoke box and door , lid for the fire box, and a stand without casters of wheels.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:07 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I appreciate the offer, all the parts are still good shape on mine they just need some TLC to bring them back into shape. The cooking chamber needs the soot cleaned out of it and the fire box has some rust. If, however, something goes wrong, I'll keep you in mind. Thanks.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:20 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Congrat's on firing up that Bandera Bruce! Sound's like your first cook with her is going to be a success. If it cook's half as good as it look's, I know it will. YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Return to General Discussion