Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smokin Spareribs and BabyBack

Smokin Spareribs and BabyBack

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:39 pm
GBitto rare
rare

Do you smoke them for the same amount of time? Or do you give the spareribs an hour head start. Want to try this weekend and don't want to ruin them. I will be using a charcoal water smoker (Smoky Mountain 3600). Any advice welcome!

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:45 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

GBitto I have the same smoker 3600 charcoal & 3600 gas. You're on the right track, spare ribs will indeed take longer to cook than babybacks. However, I couldn't say how much longer. Hopefully there will be someone here that has paided closer attention than I.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:49 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I agree with Bob, spareribs take longer to cook. I use these heavy-duty tie metal hangers when I cook the ribs in my GOSM gas smoker. I find it easer to mop them when they’re suspended vertically. Also the hangers rotate 360 degrees, so I have better access to all sides.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:18 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Some of the stuff we come up with is a hoot!! (did I say that out loud?)

NIce improv!
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:13 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Well, if anyone can find a way to turn something into a cookin' gadget, I would have only guessed it would be Z! Hehehe! I don't know how in the world you came up with that one Z, but it's a good one :lol: YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:38 pm

Amazing and cool idea ............

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:40 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

The above post was me. Great idea Z. Too bad I don't have a vertical smoker. :cry:

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:00 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

On a smoker at 225F, I've found that spareribs take 4-5 hours. Basically they're done when there are about 1/4" of the rib ends showing and the meat pulls easily apart.

The same goes for baby back ribs but they take about 2-3 hours to cook on a smoker.

Sorry- I don't have internal temperatures for these, which would make precise cooking easier.

Return to General Discussion