Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hitch Smoker

Hitch Smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:37 am
Big Pappa rare
rare

What do you guys think about these smokers? Here are a few links to them.

http://www.bbqpits.biz/graphics/BBQ96b.jpg

http://www.gatorpit.net/prod02.htm

I wanted to build a trailer but my financial adviser (Wife) will not come off of the funds. I think I may be able to talk her into something like this though. I am going to build it myself so I can add my own touches to make it the way I want.

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:54 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Big Pappa I've always liked the portability of those hitch pits. They work either on the back of your vehicle or on a stand. But I don't have one so I can't give you any wisdom on the matter. Some manufacturers make and extended rail for the hitch so the pit is far enough out from the vehicle to allow the tailgate to drop. I don't know the engineering nightmares that might pose, but I would make so that it mounts far enough from the vehicle that the heat doesn't harm the paint job. I've wondered how many folks it takes to transfer one from the stand to the hitch & back (two to lift it & one to pin)? Anyway, it's an option that I'm looking at for my trailer rig. That way I won't have to fire the big rig up for smaller cooks. (See Gator's 'Entertainer' for an example).

If you build one be sure to take lots of photos!

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:31 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I like the idea of those pits, but I do have one concern. The relative distance of the fire pit from the rear end of the truck. The fire pit will get very hot and I would be concerned about the effect of the heat from it on the rear end of the vehicle, not to mention the gas tank.
Just something to look into.

RIchD

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:04 am
Big Pappa rare
rare

I wa thinking about the lifting it off the truck as well and I think when I build mine I am going to design something like a trailer jack to lift it on and off of the hitch. That way it will be a one person job.

I am also going to make the part that attaches to the truck extend out about 3 1/2' with a basket built in so I have some extra storage. Once I get to building it I will make sure to post some pictures to see what you guys think.

What is everyone elses opinions or what would you add to make it better? :D

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:30 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I looked at your links again. I missed that stand before. So these pits are designed to come off the hitch and mount to a portable stand for use then? That being the case my initial concerns wouldn't matter as you could put it any where you want.
Good idea. Good luck.

RichD

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:46 am
Big Belly rare
rare

Don't own one, but they sure do look interesting. I would be interested in seeing what you come with once you are done building.
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:16 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

They showed a hitch pit on "The price is right" a while back. It hooked to the hitch. It had wheels & a hand crank. When you were ready to take it from the hitch, you would just crank the wheels down to the ground. Unhook it & roll it where you wanted to. I don't remember who they said made it. Actually, it had a grill on one side & an ice chest on the other.

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:13 pm
miltguy rare
rare

One of those sites says not to use it whil on the truck. I don't remember which one I saw it linked from the post with the long list of smoker manufacturers.

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:34 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

jm42fan wrote:
They showed a hitch pit on "The price is right" a while back. It hooked to the hitch. It had wheels & a hand crank. When you were ready to take it from the hitch, you would just crank the wheels down to the ground. Unhook it & roll it where you wanted to. I don't remember who they said made it. Actually, it had a grill on one side & an ice chest on the other.

You mean this one?

I can get you this one, but it's pretty pricey.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:18 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

I believe that's it. Do you finance? :lol: I figured it would be a little bit pricey.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:33 am
MReynolds well done
well done

Sorry, no financing. I drool all over this thing as it also has a built in stereo. This thing would be great for tailgating at the games me and my buddies go to. But, at around $2200, it's out of my league.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:49 am
Big D well done
well done

Omg these grill hitches are amazing I think I will have to convince my old man to get one to put on his new truck... he just bought a trailer so he can go on a road trip tailgating.. this one is my fav

http://www.goproductsusa.com/images/g3001.pdf

Stainless steel, 6 burners , 892 sq inches of grill space

its nearly as big as my Gold D... maybe I could just weld that to the bumper

Return to General Discussion