Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:57 pm
Murman well done
well done

I added a handle to the lid and a thermometer just below the cooking grate. I think I am done.
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber 22.5 Kettle
CharGriller DUO w/SFB
UDS - 55 gal

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:51 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Looking good Murman!!!
ImageImage

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:06 pm
Murman well done
well done

I cooked chicken wings, poppers and hot spiral sausage on the UDS this weekend for some folks that came over to watch football.

Now I have an "order" to build two drums.
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber 22.5 Kettle
CharGriller DUO w/SFB
UDS - 55 gal

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:10 am
jazzspot well done
well done

"If you build it.... they will come."
ImageImage

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:09 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Have to admit the drums are pretty efficient and usually easy to maintain temps. However, I'm still finding that I prefer my ribs cooked in an offset. Not that they're bad in the UDS, just used to cooking them in the offset and getting them to the doneness I like. The UDS is worth 10x its' weight in gold when it comes to long cooks like brisket & butts though!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:28 pm
Murman well done
well done

jazzspot wrote:
"If you build it.... they will come."

Oh NO! Word of mouth strikes!

I am now on the hook to build THREE drum smokers!
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber 22.5 Kettle
CharGriller DUO w/SFB
UDS - 55 gal

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Kenny 13 wrote:
Have to admit the drums are pretty efficient and usually easy to maintain temps. However, I'm still finding that I prefer my ribs cooked in an offset. Not that they're bad in the UDS, just used to cooking them in the offset and getting them to the doneness I like. The UDS is worth 10x its' weight in gold when it comes to long cooks like brisket & butts though!

I currently am using a New Braunfels Silver Smoker. Because of temperature control problems, I cut my spare racks in half and will stack 3 high. At 250 degrees I restack my ribs every 2 hours(Take the top and put it on the bottom). This has worked fairly well for me. I wouldnt see why you couldnt do the same with the UDS and just cook them longer. How much longer? Not sure. Just an idea.

I am in the process of building 2 UDS's. I found a guy that sells used 55 gal food grade drums in San Jose, CA for $30 a piece. With a high speed grider I ground the rolled lip on the top of the drum enought to lift the lid out. Washed and dried both today. I have spent the last couple of hours reading this whole thread. Going to work on them this afternoon.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread and added links. I am now confident in building my UDS. Pics to follow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:52 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome aboard, BBQboySEAN831! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:00 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Welcome to the board.

If you want to modify the SS check out this link
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... dification

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:21 pm
riznfall medium-rare
medium-rare

Man after reading all 22 pages I think I might have to try one of these things out.
Tim
CG + sfb
UDS

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:07 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

riznfall wrote:
Man after reading all 22 pages I think I might have to try one of these things out.

Go for it!! If you build it correctly, you will not be sorry for the time and materials required to build one. 8)
ImageImage

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:07 pm
Murman well done
well done

riznfall wrote:

The Force is strong with this one.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showp ... stcount=86
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber 22.5 Kettle
CharGriller DUO w/SFB
UDS - 55 gal

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:27 pm

Here are the pics. More detailed expanation at the bottom!!!

Original barrel.

With the lid removed.

Finished fire basket upside down.

Fire basket

3/4 in nipple welded to barrel

1/2 in. nipple welded to barrel

So I started with 2 55 gal barrels that had food grade products in them. Both of the barrels had no inner liner. I cut the lids out with a high speed grinder. I ground the inside of the rolled lip and pulled the lid out. I took the 2 barrels to a friend that teaches welding and tractor maint.

I hole sawed the holes for the air inlets. I did 2-3/4" that oppose each other and 2 1/2" that oppose each other air inlets. Threaded them in and welded. I took a old charcoal grate from a 22.5 weber grill and welded 4 1.5" bolts as the feet. I then traced out and plasma cut the expanded metal for the bottom. I welded the expanded metal to the old charcoal grate. I then rolled a 8" wide strip of expanded metal the shape of the outside of the charcoal grate. Weled that to the old charcoal grate and Fire Basket finished.

More to come....

Sean
Weber 22.5" Kettle
New Braunfels Silver Smoker
UDS

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:19 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Looking very good Sean!! Waiting for pics of your completed UDS and of the first pron smoked on it!! 8)
ImageImage

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:30 am
Married_Man medium-well
medium-well

How do you replenish charcoal in a UDS?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion