Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:40 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Sounds great! If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help any way I can. As far as drilling any holes, I highly recommend using a step bit as opposed to a hole saw. Much easier.

Otherwise, just make sure you maintain a distance of 24" from your charcoal grate to your cooking grate. Mine is set up where I can have 2 cooking grates, and that's the big benefit of using a kettle lid. The top grate goes right at the top of the drum, and the other goes about 7" below that one leaving it 24" above the charcoal grate.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:16 am
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

Kenny 13 wrote:
Sounds great! If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help any way I can. As far as drilling any holes, I highly recommend using a step bit as opposed to a hole saw. Much easier.

Otherwise, just make sure you maintain a distance of 24" from your charcoal grate to your cooking grate. Mine is set up where I can have 2 cooking grates, and that's the big benefit of using a kettle lid. The top grate goes right at the top of the drum, and the other goes about 7" below that one leaving it 24" above the charcoal grate.

I'll definitely keep these points in mind, thanks! Will also post pictures once I'm done with it. :D

Post Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:29 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it when you're done.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:38 pm
Murman well done
well done

Before the liner burnout...

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:15 am
Murman well done
well done

I picked up the metal for the coal basket. This project is underway.

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:12 am
Murman well done
well done

I plan on the "Grill Trial" today...

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:11 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Good luck!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:21 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Same here Murman... Good Luck!!
My only concern is if you have enough venting for the exhaust in your lid. No doubt you'll let us know how the first smoke in your UDS goes. :)
ImageImage

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:42 am
Murman well done
well done

Thanks guys! All went well. The initial seasoning with Kingsford and hickory was followed by lump charcoal, more hickory and five huge chicken breasts. Lid temp was at 250*F, the breasts cooked for about an hour (I think, I used a remote thermometer and had a few beers, ya know...) and came out great. Momma liked it so well, she bought more chicken.

I need to cook a few pork butts to get a feel for the heat over time of the unit.

Murman

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:43 am
Murman well done
well done

jazzspot wrote:
My only concern is if you have enough venting for the exhaust in your lid. No doubt you'll let us know how the first smoke in your UDS goes. :)

I have another vent piece I could install...

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:13 am
jazzspot well done
well done

Murman wrote:
jazzspot wrote:

I have another vent piece I could install...

If your temp control is good and stable and easy to maintain over longer cooks, especially when your UDS has a nice sized load of meat smoking, don't worry about adding the other vent piece that you have available. Sounds good so far according to your reported smoking session to this point. 8) :)
ImageImage

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:57 am
Murman well done
well done

An action photo...

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:33 am
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

Murman wrote:

An action photo...

Dun dun DUNNNA!
(action music)

Looks good! I've heard the temps spike when the UDS is still being broken in, would be fun to smoke a big piece of meat and see how long you can keep the temps at an even plateua... plataue... platuea... level for. :)

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:29 pm
Murman well done
well done

Concur.

My wife picked up a kettle grill cover for $3.00.

This thing is starting to look nice.

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:10 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well, I did my usual Thursday Night Auction Run last night and I managed to score 6 metal bed frames, so I'm another step closer to building my rig. I've found that bed frames are a really cheap alternative to angle iron, and the ones I picked up were very sturdy. Plus, I got all 6 frames for the grand total of one whole dollar.

So it looks like I'll be spending a bit of time this weekend in the workshop trimming off the bits I don't need, but for the cost of a buck I'm not complaining. Plus, the rollers on the bed frames will be a handy addition to a couple of ouotfeed tables I'm working on - beats the heck out of paying $15 for 6 big ball-bearing rollers, or $35 for an el-cheapo roller stand for sure. :D

I'm not sure if I'll be welding a frame together or just bolting or riveting it. Using bolts sounds like the best plan as I should be able to adjust it as the frame shifts.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion