Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:31 pm
helljack6 rare
rare

Murman wrote:
I am going to Reno to puck up a few drums.

More to follow...

No mentor needed, use this guide:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=43943

UDS x7
Rice Cooker
Got Rice?

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:37 pm
Murman well done
well done

I picked up four drums.

Nice thread.

Thanks.

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:23 pm
adamlee34 medium-well
medium-well

This thread sort of scares me. I'm handy but not real handy.

One of my friends works for a supplier who has drums that they store big chains in, and he is going to take the drum for us when it is empty. He can get a lid, which would be cool.

I just dont really know where to go from here cause I dont have alot of fancy tools, I dont know how to weld and I really want a UDS! lol.
-Happy Grills!
Adam Lee

Chargriller DUO w/SFB
http://adamlee34.blogspot.com/

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:07 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

adamlee34 wrote:

One of my friends works for a supplier who has drums that they store big chains in, and he is going to take the drum for us when it is empty. He can get a lid, which would be cool.

I just dont really know where to go from here cause I dont have alot of fancy tools, I dont know how to weld and I really want a UDS! lol.

Do you have a drill? That's all you really need, just get a step bit for it. I used pipe nipples for the intakes and got some conduit nuts (check the electrical dept. at HD or Lowe's) - one on the inside and one on the outside for each nipple. This holds them in place with no welding necessary.

For holding the grates, 1/4" stainless bolts with nuts, flat washers, & lock washers through drilled holes. No welding required, and really not difficult at all. Just make sure your charcoal grate sits at least 24" below your lowest cooking grate. I made mine where I just put 2 bricks in the bottom and my charcoal grate sits on top of them.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:15 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

adamlee34 wrote:

If this thread scares you, what do you think of the Chargriller thread?

Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:21 pm
adamlee34 medium-well
medium-well

Wolfpackbbq wrote:
adamlee34 wrote:

If this thread scares you, what do you think of the Chargriller thread?

:lol: :lol: i understand my chargriller though.. i even put mine together. Just something about getting a free drum and messing it up erks me you know?
-Happy Grills!
Adam Lee

Chargriller DUO w/SFB

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:58 am
adamlee34 medium-well
medium-well

OK So we have a barrel, and hopefully sometime this weekend we are going to burn it out.

How long/what should I use to do the burn? I dont have a flame thrower lol or a torch..
-Happy Grills!
Adam Lee

Chargriller DUO w/SFB

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:17 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

adamlee34 wrote:
OK So we have a barrel, and hopefully sometime this weekend we are going to burn it out.

How long/what should I use to do the burn? I dont have a flame thrower lol or a torch..

Plenty of wood!! If the drum has a lining on the interior, be ready for a whole lot of burning. Here's what a guy had to say about burning out the dreaded drum lining,
"Good luck, it can be burned out but it takes quite awhile. just when you think you have it all you find a ton more. I had my drum over flowing with oak, flames shooting way up in the air on day one. day 2 wire brushed entire drum and took the weedburner to her brushing as I went along. day 3 same as day 2 and then I finally got it all out."

So I hope you got drum without the lining.

ImageImage

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:15 pm
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

I've been doing some research today into these UDSs and contacted a couple of drum manufacturers.

I asked one if they sold them unlined and here's the reply:

The open head steel drums are not available without a lining, as our manufacturer will not ship that way due to rusting that can occur even during initial transport without some protective lining.

Please note, however, that the rust inhibitor lining is not made of food grade material, however the epoxy lining is. If you are to use the epoxy lined drums for hot food preparation, please also note that the lined drum can withstand temperatures only up to 250 degrees F.

Since I was only asking about open head drums, maybe the closed ones can come unlined?

The one seller I was talking with does have one option though: 85 gallon salvage drums can come unlined. For $160 bucks though, I'm keen to find a solution for the 55 gallon size that runs around $60. :)

For anyone that lives near a major metro area, google "steel drum manufacturers" or something like that. There's a lot around Chicago and you can pick them up in person to avoid shipping fees.

This forum rocks and you BBQers are awesome! :D

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:36 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

My drum was a closed top and was unlined. I had the top cut out with a torch here at work and I still did a few good burns in it before using to cook. If you can find the right size 55 gallon drum, a 22.5" weber kettle lid will fit. That's what I use for a lid and it fits like it was made for the drum. Also helps for extra capacity, as opposed to using the flat lids that come with the open top drums.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:41 pm
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

Kenny 13 wrote:
My drum was a closed top and was unlined. I had the top cut out with a torch here at work and I still did a few good burns in it before using to cook. If you can find the right size 55 gallon drum, a 22.5" weber kettle lid will fit. That's what I use for a lid and it fits like it was made for the drum. Also helps for extra capacity, as opposed to using the flat lids that come with the open top drums.

Did it have rustproofing paint inside?

I keep hearing the 22.5" Weber lids fit well -- I wonder if the One-Touch Gold 26.75" lid fits the 85 gallon salvage drums that are 26" wide.... :twisted:

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:17 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

No, didn't have rustproofing either.

Don't know anything about the size of that 85 gal. drum. Does it give dimensions?
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:10 am
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

Kenny 13 wrote:
No, didn't have rustproofing either.

Don't know anything about the size of that 85 gal. drum. Does it give dimensions?

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get the internal rustproofing to go away? Is it just a manner of a couple of days of good burns in it?

The 85 gallon is one of the standardized salvage drums, only salvage drum this particular company sells that is unlined.
26wx37h inside dimensions

http://www.bestcontainers.com/2616u.html

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:33 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

With those dimensions, that large kettle lid may fit it. Remember, the very top of the drum will be a little larger than those inside dimensions.

From everything I've heard, a few really good burns should help burn out that rustproofing. Just make sure to build a pretty decent sized fire when burning it out. Flames coming out of the top of the drum.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:55 pm
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

Kenny 13 wrote:
With those dimensions, that large kettle lid may fit it. Remember, the very top of the drum will be a little larger than those inside dimensions.

From everything I've heard, a few really good burns should help burn out that rustproofing. Just make sure to build a pretty decent sized fire when burning it out. Flames coming out of the top of the drum.

Awesome opossum, thank you sir! Looks like it's going to be a 55gallon drum this year. :D

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion