Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoking with Corn Cobs???

Smoking with Corn Cobs???

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:09 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm just going through my book on curing and smoking meat, fish and game, and I came across a reference to using corn cobs for smoking. These are dried corn cobs used in addition to hickory. Apparently they were used by the old Pennsylvania Dutch tor cold smoking hams and such.

Now I've heard of this before but I've never tried them. I've made corncob pipes before, though, and the pith in the inside of the cob is full of sugar (makes for a nice pipe smoke, anyway). It seems to me that they might work nicely.

Has anyone here ever tried using dried corn cobs before- either alone or with some other wood? If so, how did they work?

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:11 pm
JDasmokin rare
rare

Good question
Sounds like it might be good
We have a lot of corn cobs around our area, might be a way to really give a different taste.
I hope someone has tried it and has time to respond.
Might have to try it and see what happens.

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:40 pm
irishfolker medium
medium

I've heard of this too and would like to try it. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone here has any wisdom to share.
Thig Crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceol

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:48 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I'll give it a shot on some chicken at some point. I've done pineapple skin as smoke fuel for pork chops and that was nice.

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:00 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well being in the heart of PA dutch country you would think that this would be something I'd have heard of, but nope this is news to me.
I will poke around and see what I can find out, I'll even try it when I get the chance.
I can tell you that corn husks and silk burn to produce a very acrid smoke, or at least when they're still green.
I too will be following this thread with interest.

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:05 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I too have used pineapple rind to provide smoke (you can see them through the grates on some of my photos). But haven't tried corncobs yet. We keep composting them, I'll have to remember to reserve a few just in case this thread gets interesting :wink: .

Return to General Discussion