Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grillaholics Anonymous - I need help

Grillaholics Anonymous - I need help

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:46 pm
BigDawg rare
rare

Hi, my name is BigDawg and I'm a grillaholic. (From the gallery, "Hi BigDawg!")

Guys & Gals of this fine message forum,

Please tell me this addiction of mine is controllable and there is help out there for me somewhere. Approximately 4 weeks ago, I saw my first episode of BBQ University. I was flipping through the channels and saw this "goob" standing behind a "lame" charcoal grill acting like he was "all that". After only 30 minutes, I realized I was the "goob" with a "lame" gas grill and that I wasn't "all that". Steven Raichlen is 'da man!

Diary of a new grillaholic:

May 19: Drip vapor bar on my 4-year-old Char-Broil 2-burner gas grill finally vaporized itself (it broke in half). Decided to start researching new gas grills. Read about all sorts of grills from Consumer Reports to researching Lowe's & Home Depot's website.

May 20: Went to Lowe's to look at their gas grills.

May 21: Went to Home Depot to look at their gas grills.

May 22: Life changing event... Saw my first episode of BBQ University. Had an epiphany about grilling.

May 23: Went to Borders Bookstore and bought The Barbecue Bible!. Read the whole first few chapters; decided I was going to be a charcoal man.

May 24: Researched all sorts of charcoal grills and came to the conclusion that if a Weber was good enough for Steven Raichlen, it was good enough for the BigDawg.

May 25: Purchased a Weber One-Touch Platinum charcoal grill, Weber charcoal chimney, and a bunch of other accessories from the local Ace Hardware. Went home and grilled hamburgers. I was worried that the burgers wouldn't turn out very good because all we had was ground sirloin (93% fat-free) and I was worried they would be too dry. They were EXCELLENT!!! Much better than the fattest burger I ever grilled on my gas grill.

May 27: Grilled ribeye steaks. Best steak I've ever eaten!

May 28: Grilled flank steak for fajitas. Best fajitas I've ever eaten!

May 29: Grilled shrimp and steak shishkabobs. Best shishkabobs I've ever eaten!

May 30: Indirect grilled pork spare ribs. Best ribs I've ever eaten! (Are you guys starting to pick up on a pattern here?)

June 2: Indirect grilled first beer can chicken. I generally don't like chicken, but this was as I'm sure you have already guessed it, the best chicken I've ever eaten.

In the last 2 weeks I have grilled more beer can chickens, more steaks, more burgers, more brats, more of everything. And to top it all off if that wasn't enough, I purchased a new Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker this past Friday, June 11, along with the book How to Grill.

June 12: Fired up the ole Weber Bullet at 6:30AM. Put on a pork shoulder butt at 7AM. Smoked that puppy for 10 hours at approximately 225. Best pulled pork I've ever eaten.

Since becoming a convert to charcoal, I think I have grilled every single day that it has not rained. Am I doomed to living a life of excellent grilled food forever? I think I may have come to the wrong place to get support for such a problem. Some of you guys may have this affliction stronger than I do.

All kidding aside, I don't post much here, but I find this place as an invaluable resource for all sorts of knowledge. If it wasn't for Steven's shows, Steven's books, the members of this board, my Webers, and Kingsford charcoal (oh, forgot to mention the wife), the last 4 weeks of my life would not have been nearly as enjoyable. Thanks to all.

Sincerely,
BigDawg
Last edited by BigDawg on Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:52 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the madness for which there is no cure. :lol: Now if we can get you to start taking pictures and share! :wink:

Thanks for posting your journal BigDawg. Hope you’ll have many more adventures to post in the future. Enjoy the new toys!!!

I just noticed that you are from Villa Rica. My wife's twin sister used to live there so I been there a few times. Went wading it a creek and came out glittery.
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:54 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

And it only gets worse...

Enjoy the insanity!

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:15 pm
irishfolker medium
medium

Hi, BigDawg!

Steven has turned me into a grillin' monster as well. Last year I picked up BBQ USA at a discount store and all of a sudden I was turning out incredible smoked fish and ribs on my little Brinkmann water smoker. This spring I sprung for a horizontal smoker at Barbecues Galore (God I love that store!) with my wife's full permission. I'm using nothing but lump charcoal started with a chimney, smoking with several types of wood keyed to what I'm smoking, turning out the best ribs my wife and I have ever had, grillin' every weekend. I'll grill up enough food for the entire week so all we have to do is sides during the week. We take our own food to work for lunch and drive our co-workers crazy with the aroma.

Yes, I am an addict and I am proud of it.

BTW, this is my first post on this board. I've learned a bunch just in the last couple of days since I discovered it.

irishfolker
Thig Crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceol

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:28 pm
BigDawg rare
rare

irishfolker wrote:
BTW, this is my first post on this board. I've learned a bunch just in the last couple of days since I discovered it.
irishfolker

Welcome to the board, too! It's absolutely amazing the night and day difference between cooking on a charcoal grill vs. a gas grill. I'm not knocking a gas grill at all and I'm sure I would do much better on my old one now that I have read about more techniques, but I don't know if I'll ever fire her back up for anything other than a quick hot dog or something simple.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome aboard irishfolker! Glad you found us. :D

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:54 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

It must have rained on May 26, 31, and June 1st. :wink:

Welcome, and like others have already said, stick around and enjoy. BTW, I have that vaporizer piece laying around if you really need one.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:57 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Hi my name is BBcue-Z and I’m a Grillaholic,
Welcome to the board BigDwag, it’s nice to have another member from Ga. Let me tell friend; there is no cure for this disease. You’ll have to continue to feed this hunger for the rest of your life. On the positive side, no one in your household will ever go hungry or wonder what to eat next. :wink:
We’re glad you joined us :)

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:50 pm
JDasmokin rare
rare

Bigdawg
The diary of the cooking was great,
My wife still uses the gas grill for after school and fast things
I have been a charcoal and wood guy for several years now.
We need more grillaholics
Keep on grillin'

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:20 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

HEY, BIIIIGDAAWWGG!!

So tell us, be true, how much weight have you gained? 8)
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:47 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Geez BigDawg, you brought a tear to my eye with that one. Anytime someone sees the light, it's a good thing. You can cook pretty much anything you want on a gas grill, but it will never taste like you cooked it over charcoal (my apologies to all the gas grillers out there).

But you're looking at this thing all wrong. It's not that grilling is an addiction that you have been struck by, it's a religion that has brought you in and has shown you the true meaning of pork fat.

It's a religion that will require you to now share your beliefs with other non-believers. Invite the great unwashed to the shrine that your backyard has become. Prepare for them the meat mana on the great iron alter. The light will slowly start to shine for them as their wives tell them "your steak/chicken/ribs/chops never taste this good". Then bring forth the Barbecue Bible and read from it and share your new religion with them.

For more information, please consult the Tao Tan Ching (The Tao of Charcoal) at
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/taoofcharcoal/tcindex.htm

Can I get an amen brothers?

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:01 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

AMEN!!!

Big Dwag keep up the great que!!!

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:09 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A WOMAN OR TWO WOULDN'T SO BAD WOULD IT?

OK ... OK... I'll crawl back under my woodpile cover.[/i]
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:13 pm
Big D well done
well done

spfranz wrote:
You can cook pretty much anything you want on a gas grill, but it will never taste like you cooked it over charcoal .... Scott

Thats right, it will be much more convient and if you have a Summit Gold D you will still get smokey taste.... ;)

I love charcoal but I REALLY LOVE MY D ;)

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:21 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Welcome new guys........................this is the place to feed your addiction.

Next

Return to General Discussion