Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hello from NJ!. Just joined the board

Hello from NJ!. Just joined the board

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:31 am
dmacimus raw
raw

Hello everyone. I have been enjoying reading everyones post for a few months now and decided register and join in. I have to tell everyone I have gotten some great ideas from reading the discussions.

I am from Souther/Central NJ. I have not seen/heard of many people BBQ'ing around here. Many grillers, but no smokers/bbq'ers.

Some history about me: I started out with a New Braunfels Black Diamond offset bbq. My brother gave it to me when he moved - 3 years ago. I actually got that thing in my car and drove it home from his house. That thing weighed a ton. My wife got me the bbq bible book. A year or so ago I moved and had to leave it behind. I thought it would be easy to get another one. Big Mistake! I drove everywhere and called everywhere. No one had it, and no one would ship it. It was very frustrating.

I finally tried my local home depot. They jerked me around for a few weeks with a special order which was also frustrating. I finally called their corporate headquarters and they had someone from Char-Broil ( they purchased New Bruanfels, as many of you know already) contact me. They shipped one right to my house. Been Q'n ever since.

The model they sent me was a Bandera (upright with offset firebox: http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/offset_smokers.asp ). It still has all of the New Braunfels Logos on it. I love this smoker.

This past weeked I Q'd a nice size beef brisket (11 hours), 2 racks of ribs (6 hours), and chicked legs and thighs (4 hours). I used a dry rub on everything and put bbq sauce on the ribs and chicked the last 20 minutes.

Everything came out great and was a great hit with the company at the house.

When I Q, I usually use either hickory, oak, or lump charcoal or most times I use a combination of all 3.

I haven't tried a pork shoulder/boston butt yet. That is going to be my next project I think.

Anyway, enough of my bs, I just wanted to say Hey to everyone and tell everyone how much I llike this discussion group! :)

Don

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:14 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

dmacimus welcome to the board! Don you'll find a few Bandera owners around here. I recently aquired one and am in the process of slowly reconditioning it. Hope you'll hang with us and share some of your que'ing tales.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:45 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Welcome to the board Don. To set your mind at ease I am also from the South/Central NJ area and I love to Q on my Silver Smoker a.k.a. Black Diamond.

RichD

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:05 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Welcome aboard. There's alot of really good ideas in here.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:27 pm
Big Belly rare
rare

*waves*
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Return to General Discussion