Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Jerked Pork

Jerked Pork

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:01 pm
Fired medium-rare
medium-rare

I just wanted to know anyone's opinion on Direct vs. Indirect with the JERKED PORk.
I know the main recipe in How To Grill says to direct grill it. I was going to cook it at 300 degrees till whenever it is done. Should I continue with my plan or direct grill that JERK.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:24 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Fired, the last time I cooked Jerked Pork I used a pork shoulder. I de-boned it which made for one long piece of pork. So I decided to cut it in half and cook one on the grill (direct) and one in the smoker (indirect). It will take a lot longer using the indirect method so you'll want to use a meat thermometer and cook it to 175 to 180*. Now the main difference in the two pieces on meat when done was HEAT. On the grill most of the marinade sticks to the grates and burns off so only the flavor that soaked into the meat remains, and quite tasty if I might add. But in the smoker there is no need to turn the meat. You don't lose any of the marinade (pesto, adobo) and it bakes onto the meat. This thick, dark green layer looks pretty cool when sliced and laid on the plate. But when the fork hits your lips it's another story. I ate a couple of slices of Jerked Pork leaving the marinade on and by the third slice I was scraping most of it off. It's hot and depending on the number of peppers used, it may be unbearable. :wink: But it sure is good.

Return to General Discussion