Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sweetgum... any good to smoke with ?

Sweetgum... any good to smoke with ?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:26 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

I was wondering if anyone knows if Sweetgum ( not Blackgum ) wood is any good as a smoking wood.

I've got several large tree's in my yard ( Stupid gumball's :evil: ) and thinking about removing a couple of them, they would yield lots of wood.

I've also got a HUGE pecan tree in the yard of one of my rental properties, now that I've got my Smokin" Pro I believe I might just have to sneak over there and give that one a little " haircut " :lol: .

I've done some searches online but have only been able to find info on its value as firewood, and I understand it is one of the toughest wood's to split also. Thank's YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:03 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

YB2 I've done a lot of searching around on the Internet in the matter of woods used for smoking. I haven't come across anything either that refers to it as a wood suitable for smoking with. When it comes to ingesting I would side with caution and not use it even though it's convenience or bountiful until it's confirmed safe. In the past we discovered that Bittersweet was toxic to birds, cats, and dogs…so we recommended to leave it alone as a member wanted to use the plentiful wood source to smoke with. Hope you can find a definitive answer!

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:37 am

Thank's for the input Bob.

Worry not, I am the cautious type and wouldn't use it unless it was proven to be safe. More curious than anything.

Considering how common a wood it is here, and the number of Q'er's in the Va / N C area, I'm sure I would have heard mention of it, if it was being used. Just thought I'd throw the question out there and see what kind of feedback I could get. Thank's again. YB2

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:02 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

OOPS, forgot to log in.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:36 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Definately set your sights on any stray limbs on that Pecan of yours! :D

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:53 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

10-4 on that Bob.

Actually I'm going to hire a " Tree Monkey :lol: " AKA Tree Surgeon, to limb out the dead wood and elevate the tree. And he definately won't be able to charge me a " Dump Fee " for that job :wink: . YB2

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:01 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

YB2

Just remember your friends when it comes to that Pecan :wink:

Also have chainsaw will travel :D

Bruce
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:25 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

YB2 here are a few links that may help you on the subject:

Cooking Tips

Lookin' for KC barbeque experts

Fuel/Barbeque Wood Characteristics

You might give those last folks a call or email since they sell the stuff!

HTH

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:43 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Thank's for the link's Bob :lol: .

Comment's noted Bruce :wink: , I'll give you a yell when I have it done, not sure just when that'll be yet. YB2

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
messickzr rare
rare

Thanks for the links Bob. Looks like good information.

Return to General Discussion