Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Fish on the grill…

Fish on the grill…

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:17 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

Hey guys. Looking for some good ideas for fish on the grill. I haven’t had a chance to try any of the recipes in the BBQ Bible. Our family is taking a week long trip to the Northern Ca. Coast. We’ll be doing some fishing while up there and I would love to do some fish on the grill while camping. We usually get Cod (few different varieties) and (cross my fingers) some Salmon. I’ll probably take a Weber kettle on the trip.

I’d really like to hear about some recipes from the BBQ Bible… since it’s the only book of Steven’s I have, because the two times I’ve been to Barns and Noble they’ve been out of “How to grill”

Thanks,

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:30 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

See my post under “fish in a blanket”.
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1199
Also here is my favorite Grilled Salmon recipe:
1 large filet of salmon-boneless and skinless, Sam’s and Costco sell them for about $10
Rub:
1 tbs granulated onion
1 tbs whit pepper
1/2 tbs lemon pepper
1/2 tbs Black pepper
¼ tbs Chinese 5 spice
A dash of salt- the soy sauce is very salty, so you don’t need much salt
Marinade:
1/2 cup Soy sauce
1/4 cup lemon or orange juice
3 tbs of Molasses
2 cloves of garlic –minced
4 tbs extra version Olive Oil
Wash the salmon, pat dry and cover with the spice rub. Mix the marinade and place the salmon in it. Cover and refrigerate for 30 min. Do not exceed the 30 min otherwise, the salmon will be very salty.
Set the grill for direct grilling at med-high temp. Dry up the salmon and brush with oil. I usually use a basket to cook it, but you can use any type of grill as long as it’s well oiled.
Grill the fish on both sides until cooked to the degree of doneness that you like. Baste the fish with the remaining marinade through out the cooking time (make sure you boil it first).
Enjoy!
If you Need HTG book, they have it for $13.97 at Amazon.com. I just sent my Dad a copy for Father’s day.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:29 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

One of my favorite camping grilled fish is Trout on a stick.
We used get those metal sticks that people use for planting (available at any garden stores) and use them to skewer whole trout. We seasoned the trout with salt and pepper, brushed them with a mixture of olive oil or meted butter, lemon juice, garlic and dry dill. After skewering the fish (from bottom to top) with the metal stick, we stuck them in the ground around the campfire. The fish stood up about 3-4 feet above the fire and the hot smoky air cooked them to perfections. The fire was made mainly from oak wood, and it was hot. The fish cooked in no time. Man, that brings back a lot of happy childhood memory. If you ever try this, you’ll never forget the experience. If you have any children, please involve them in this process; they will not forget it either. You can do this with any kind of fish. I used to live in Northern Ca., and Rock Cod was my favorite fish. If you want to grill it whole, take fish basket or some chicken wire and good pair of metal shears. After cleaning the fish, stuff the cavity with a variety of herbs and lemon/orange slices, wrap the whole fish with chicken wire and through on the grill. Or if you want to get real rustic, put few rocks on top of some coals from the campfire, and wait until they get nice and hot, and then place the chicken wire wrapped fish on the rocks. Baste with above mixture until they’re nice and tender.
Have a good trip.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:20 am
BigDaddy medium
medium

BBcue-Z... used to live in Nor-cal? Where abouts? We're going to Trinidad. Know the area?

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:27 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I lived in Cameron park, Orangeville (north of Sacramento), San Jose and Gilroy. In fact, I’ll be in San Jose for 2 weeks this summer.
I‘ve been to Trinidad once. I believe it’s famous for its lighthouses. I had a friend that used to live in Eureka, and he and I fished off of the pier in Trinidad once.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:59 am
BigDaddy medium
medium

I know where all those places are.

Yeah, you're right about the Lighthouse.

Gilroy, Garlic Fest. :lol:

Return to General Discussion