Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion SMOKING WITH A GAS GRILL

SMOKING WITH A GAS GRILL

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:24 pm
EWFISHIN3456@AOL.COM

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SMOKE (CHICKEN, RIBS, ETC) ON A GAS GRILL??

EWFISHIN3456@AOL.COM

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:32 pm
Big D well done
well done

Welcome to the board,

Some gas grills, such as the Weber Summit Gold D, have smoker boxes built in. You can look for this feature when shopping for a new grill but might be a bit 'pricey'.

As well, some stores (such as my local Home Depot) have "smoker boxes" avalible. The ony at my local stores runs for about $8 Canadian ($5 U.S.) and is simply a small metal box which slides open to put wet wood chips in and the 'almost' closes and you place it above a burner and produces smoke.

The easiest and cheapest way to smoke on a gas grill, assuming you dont have any sort of smoker box, is to simply place your wood chips in an aluminmum foil tent and poke holes in it then place it above or near one of your lit burners... see SR's "How to Grill" for more instructions

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:24 am
Big Belly rare
rare

Sound advice...

Also, it may be a little rouge but it will get you through till you get a smoke box or smoker.

• get a pie tin
  • poke holes in the bottom
  • grab your wood chips
  • soak um for 30 minutes
  • then start a fire
  • burn them down to glowing coals
  • place that in your gril
  • prop your top of the grill open a bit to allow air to flow ( is used my grill scraper turned sideways - 3 inch opening).

Wash, rinse, repeat till the meat is done.

BTW - keep the burners turned all the way down if you are using propane and try to use the highest shelf you have in the grill.

I have smoked ribs, pork shoulders and yes briskets in a two burner propane grill beforedoing this very same rouge method with favorable results. Of course I do finish pork shoulders and briskets in the oven at 225. Again, it is rouge but it will get you through till you can get a smoker or a better set-up.
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:42 am
Big D well done
well done

thats another good idea I forgot to mention.. For Canada DAy soon I will be doing a whole suckling pig over my Summit Gold D rather than renting a charcoal rig.... I will of course use the smoker box but since it would need to be refilled often and the pig will take all day I am going to also take two full aluminum disposable roasting pans and fill them with wood chunks and place roasting pans on top to make covers, poke wholes in em and let her go

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:00 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Come on guys, he asked for the BEST way to smoke on a gas grill.

Tear the burner out, fill it charcoal and wood, attach it to another gutted gas grill which is where your food goes. :wink:

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:31 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

On a serious note, Alton Brown (the host of Good eats) claims that propane gives out water vapor as it burns. The water vapor forms a barrier between the meat and the smoke. I’ve never been successful in getting a strong smoke flavor while using a gas grill, but you’ll have to judge for yourself.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:09 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

So if
Propane = Water Vapor
What does a Water Pan with charcoal or wood equal.
WATER VAPOR!
Green Wood?
WATER VAPOR!

Sometimes the Food Network TV guys get a little righteous.

You can smoke with propane just fine as stated above.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:13 am
Rob96 rare
rare

I smoke with my gas grill just fine. I have a cast iron smoker box that I purchased from Walmart. When I am making something that takes a few hours, like Beer Can Chicken, I simply add chips as needed.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:55 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Back in my B.C. (before charcoal) days, I used to just wrap some soaked chips in foil pouches with air holes poked all over. Just made up a bunch and pulled them out and threw new ones into the gas grill as needed. Worked ok and was way easy to manage and clean up.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:03 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Ok then, where do the pouches go? On top of the grate? On top of the heat shield/flavorizer bars, or under my burners?

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:23 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Either on top of the grates or on top of the bars. On top of the grate makes it easier to replace the pouches with new when the smoke stops. Under the grates gives better smoke coverage but is more difficut to replenish/replace.
The choice is up to you.

Return to General Discussion