Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brinkmann Charcoal Smoker

Brinkmann Charcoal Smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:48 pm
Aroberts rare
rare

Yesterday I received a Brinkmann charcoal water smoker for a birthday present. It has a temp gauge that says "warm" and "ideal" on it, but doesn't tell me what temp I'm cooking at.

My question: Approx how much charcoal do people use in these smokers to get that 200 -225 degree bbq temperature? And how do you tell the temp? Any other tips about cooking with this smoker would be great. I know there was a discussion on Brinkmann smokers a while back, but couldn't find these answers.

Thanks!

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:44 pm
shakes rare
rare

Is there anyway to remove the thermometer and replace it with one with degrees on it.? If you can't, just get a probe thermometer and stick it through a potato with the tip sticking out and stick the potato on your rack next to your food and run the cord (if it's not wireless) through a vent or under the lid.

I have no clues about the ammount of charcoal needed though.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:50 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Aroberts you'll definitely want to do something about the thermometer. If you're not worried about the warrantee then replace the thermometer with a good one. If you don't want to modify the smoker just yet, you can use a remote probe thermometer installed in a block of wood and placed on a grate to get you buy.

If you can't tell the temperature inside your cooker you'll not know when or how much fuel to use. And you'll not be able to duplicate successes and avoid disasters.

As for the amount of fuel: the Minion Method loads it to max capacity of unlit coals and 10 to 20 lit coals on top. If using all lit fuel, about half to a full chimney and adjust the vents for temperature control. Here again, you need a dependable thermometer!

I have a Mr. Meat Smoker with the same kind of thermometer you described. It doesn't work very well.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:52 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Shakes, you read my mind. And you're appearently a faster typest! :lol:

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:22 pm
Aroberts rare
rare

Thanks for the advice guys. What's a remote probe thermometer, and how does it work? I assume it's something I can buy at hardware shop such as Home Depot?

Thanks again!

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:27 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I agree with all above. If you can you should change the temperature gauge.
The remote probe being refered to is a meat thermometer such as made by Polder. It has a probe you insert into your meat. The probe has a braided wire on it that extends and plugs into the digital unit. The digital unit is outside of your cooker so that you can tell the internal temp of your meat without opening the cooker. Used in the Shakes has suggested you would be taking the temperature of your smoker. You can get one at any kitchen store.
Polder has one called the dual temp that wil take the internal temp of your meat, but also has a probe on the end that take the temperature of your smoker.
Enjoy!

RichD

Return to General Discussion