Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grad Party was a success…

Grad Party was a success…

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:35 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

Hey guys the party was a huge success. All the food came out great. The Tri-Tips got about 10 deg. More done than I wanted… but they were still real tender and the flavor was awesome.

Here is a pic of the Rig…

Here are a few of the Tri-Tips waiting to come off.

Here is the last round of chicken (the legs).

Another shot of some chicken… ended up doing 126 pieces of chicken. Yeah That's smoke rolling out of there. The chicken was awsome.

Sorry this pics are not better, still getting used to our new Dig. Camera.

Ended up cooking 16 Tri-Tips and 126 pieces of chicken.

Thanks for everybody’s advice...

JC

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:39 pm
Big Belly rare
rare

You are making me hungry man, and I just got done eating lunch! Grats on your success, hopefully you will havre many more to come.

BTW - How much did the rental of the pitt set ya back?
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:05 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

BigDaddy those are some wonderful pics. I like the way you started us out and gradually worked in to the food. Everything looks delicious!

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:11 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I'm not seeing the pics??

RichD

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:26 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

The rig was $75. for the day.

Little story on the rig.
I went to the rental yard little over a month ago to check it (or one like it) out. So, I find this nice unit that looks like a drum, done with adjustable racks… nice piece, so I reserved it. When I get there Saturday Morning, they hook this one up to my truck. I walked outside to check it out and the guy asked, “Is this going to be ok”? I replied “it’s going to have to be, since you gave the one I reserved away and I’ve got 75 people to cook for”. It (the one in the pic) didn’t have adjustable grates and only has two vents in the front to regulate air flow. Needless to say I was a little concerned.

But… Wow what a great rig. Once I got her warmed up (took a while to get all that ¼ in. steel up to temp) she cooked like a champ. I did the Tri-Tips first. Had enough room in the rig to run a ring of charcoal around the edges, so the Tips were done indirect. That’s one reason why the Tri-Tip’s got 10 degrees more on them, than I wanted… because I didn’t think the rig heating up properly so I laid some extra coals to it and it jumped in temp. on me. After the Tips were done I spread the coals out and did all the chicken over direct heat. About 18 inches off the heat.

So, I guess it was a blessing in disguise, because except for a small learning curve on the rig. I loved it and would use it again.

I have a couple other pics... one with the grill on the "pull out". If you guys want I'll post them?

JC

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:58 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Outstanding job BigDaddy !!!!

Wow, those pic's are great, and the food look's AWSOME !!

Glad to hear your party was such a success, that's great. Sound's like you pulled it off perfectly, well done :lol: . YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:02 pm
Big D well done
well done

Looks greatm glad everything turned out fine. And ya, post everything ya got.. nothin like see pics of a BBQ in action

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:14 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great Pictures JC!
I’m glad it was a success. What happened to the Char-Griller? I would’ve used both at the same time. :)

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:24 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

This was at my Uncle’s house, so I didn’t want to load it up and haul it. So I just used the rental. This will break you heart… but the last time I used the Char-Griller was 6/9… and won’t use it until at least 6/30. Going on a 9 day camping trip and will not be able to take it. That’s way to long for a work horse to sit.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:33 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Great pics! Don't know why I couldn't see them earlier.
Glad everything turned out ok.

RichD

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:09 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

BigDaddy knowing that you'll be cooking over fire on your camping trip is a comfort to our hearts. :wink:

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:17 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Hey BigDaddy - you know, if you left a couple of racks of ribs in the fridge, I'm sure someone in your neck of the woods would be happy to come over and fire up your Char-Griller while you're on vacation. Hey, professional smoker-sitter. I think I may have come up with a new job. :lol:

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:50 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Great pictures. It looks like you served a fantastic feast.

I'm always available for that smoker-sitter position if you haven't filled it yet :D

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:16 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great pic, it warms my heart to see big feasts like that!
Way to go!

Return to General Discussion