Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Fish in a blanket

Fish in a blanket

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:52 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I was at Costco yesterday and found fresh boneless and skinless Tilapia. I picked a tray and decided to grill the filets. Now I’ve done these filets before on a vegetable tray, but I decided to cook them a little differently this time. I picked up some dehydrated cornhusks and soaked them in water. Cleaned the filets and seasoned them with salt, black pepper, whit pepper, lemon pepper, granulated onion powder, and paprika. And then I made a mixture of minced garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, fresh parsley and Thyme. Brushed the filets and the husks with the liquid mixture, placed a thin slice of lemon on top of each filets, and then wrapped them up like tamales. I know this isn’t a new concept, but as you can see in the pictures below the filets are not entirely encased in the husk. I wanted to leave as much of the fish exposed as possible. This way the fish will get nice and smoky. Also when the husks charred, they would also contribute to the smoky flavor.
Grilled the filets over coals with zucchini halves. The fish filets were awesome. The filets were very juice and tasty, even my fussy kid loved (she usually does not eat fish).

To all the Cha-Griller owners, I used mine yesterday as a grill, and it preformed beautifully. Please forgive me for bragging, but I love this grill.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:59 am
Big Belly rare
rare

That is absolutely fabulous! In my past life I did scallops in the same fashion, served with a smoked corn and black bean relish with harissa oil. I never though of doing fish like this.

Heck, I may be able to introduce fish back into my households diet after seeing this.

Thanks for the pics, they drive home the point quite well!
Last edited by Big Belly on Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:06 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Woooow! Z you continually "raise the bar". I can almost taste those pictures. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:23 pm

Z Fantastic recipe and pictures. I know what will be on the grill this weekend. Thanks.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:19 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

WHAT A MEAL Z,

It look's absolutely delicious !!!

I don't know what you do for a living, but I think opening your own restaurant might be very profitable for you :lol: . Okay, what will we name it :? Hmmm, let's see, how about
" Z's flavor's of all nation's " :lol: .

Excellent job. YB2

P.S. where did you find the dehydrated cornhusk's at ?
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:20 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks guys for the nice comments.
YB2,
I wish I were in the food business, but unfortunately, I’m far from it. :cry:
Maybe some day I’ll have my own restaurant, and I would consider the name you suggested. :)
I got the cornhusks at my local supermarket in the Mexican food sections. I’ve also seen them at Walmart.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:42 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

I didn't see this post when I asked about the fish. I'm going to take this one with me and hopfully do it, while camping.

You Rock!!!

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:33 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Z you rock.
That looked great!

Return to General Discussion