Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Slow cooking with lump

Slow cooking with lump

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:15 pm

I swear there has never been any effect on the food this way, but I'll tell you what. If the charcoal basket works the way I expect it to then I promise I will only use unlit lump.

RichD

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:16 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Forgot to log in.
Anyone know why you have to log in twice??

RIchD

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:18 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Don't understand the logging in twice thing. I have to log in twice at home but only once at work. :?

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:43 pm
jayshaw91 medium-rare
medium-rare

For clarification, I'm guessing the Minion method is putting a cold base of fuel down and tossing a hot batch of fuel over the top?

Interesting idea. I think I'll try this the next time I do some indirect cooking on my Weber.

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:26 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Yes the minion method is just that. You lay out a bed of unlit coals then spread a lit chimney of coals over them. The lit coals will gradually ignite the unlit coals giving you a nice long burn. In my horizontal/offset I get up to an 8 hour burn before having to add more fuel. This will of coarse depend on how much unlit you put down and how much oxygen you are allowing in to the fuel.
There are a few posts here specifically about the minion method if you do a search.
Sorry we forgot about you in our discussion about the lump vs briquettes.
Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

RichD

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:08 pm
hawgpimp rare
rare

Just started with Blackwood Canyon Big Briq 100% natural briquettes, made with lump charcoal fines and yucca starch. All the advantages of lump in a briquette form. Using it today and so far, so good.
"Listen, I didn't get to where I am today, worrying what I was gonna feel like tomorrow" Ron White

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:07 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Air, you will be happy to know that I Q'd this weekend and only used lump. Didn't have a chance to make a charcoal basket yet so I just changed the set up a little. Started with approx. 5 lbs of unlit lump in the firebox, slightly piled in the center and spread out on the edges. Dumped a fully lit chimney and spread it out much more than the last time. The unlit lump lit nice and slow without the excess smoke I had the last time I used it this way. Looking back at my last BBQ and comparing it to this past weekend I can say that two things probably gave me the excess smoke. First I don't think my initial chimney of lump was fully lit and second I didn't spread it out as much (this probably caused the lump to ignite too quickly). Anyway, except for lighting an unlit bed of lump the briquettes are out for the time being. I still found it to burn a little quicker, but I was able to hold 250 for quite some time before needing to add more lump.

RichD

Previous

Return to General Discussion