Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brisket cooking time?

Brisket cooking time?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:51 am
jayshaw91 medium-rare
medium-rare

Alright, the "low" part is easy to grasp, but "slow" I need a little help with. HTG says 4-6 hours for a 5-6lb beef brisket, but also on the page before it talks about Texas Grillmeisters taking 12 hours or more to cook a brisket.

So, how "slow" can I cook my brisket without killing it? What if it hits 190deg internally and I want to leave it on longer? Is it going to dry up?

Cooking in a few hours, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:02 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

In “HTG” Steve cooks the brisket on a grill set on medium heat. The brisket will definitely cook faster on a grill. No matter how big your grill is, the heat source is till very close to the meat and it’s hard to achieve low temp. When you cook the brisket in a smoker, it usually take 12-16 hours based on weight, but you’ll be cooking at much lower temp (225-250). Don’t confuse grill smoking with smoker smoking.
Once the brisket reaches 190-195 internal temp, then you can wrap it in foil and keep it warm. If you leave it exposed past that temp it will turn to mush, or dry out (based on your heat setting).
I hope this helps.

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:43 am
jayshaw91 medium-rare
medium-rare

Actually, I JUST double checked and it does say to preheat to low for a charcoal grill, and for a gas grill to go to high to start the pouch, and turn to low after that.

I'm using a Weber 18" modded w' a thermometer mounted to the top of the kettle. To get to "low" I think I'll just let the coals burn waaaay down.

Now does this change how long I can cook this thing for?

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:14 am
shakes rare
rare

I wouldn't cook it much past 190, but you can probably take 24 hours to get it there. The only problem is if your fire is too low and the meat sits in the danger zone too long goes bad. If you want to do a really long cook I'd cut the heat way back (relatively speaking) once it hits 160 or so.

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:13 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

If you’re using a Weber, just follow Steve’s instructions to the letter. This way you’ll have a perfect brisket. If you let your coals burn way down before you put your brisket on, you won’t get much of a cooking time out of them, and you’ll be wasting a lot more coals this way. If you follow Steve’s direction, you should have a nice brisket within 5-6 hours.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:43 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

jayshaw91 sorry I wasn't online this weekend. Hope you cook went well. :)

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:13 pm
jayshaw91 medium-rare
medium-rare

Well, time to post the results on my first ever brisket.

(Sorry, no pics! I need a digital camera!)

Anyway, it turned out to rave reviews. Following Steve's instructions to the letter, I got a 4.5lb brisket done in 5.5 hours total grilling time.

Now, some observations. Any comments to correct any complaints will be welcome!

1. I need a different butcher for sure! The place I went barely had the 1/4 of fat on it, and the whole brisket wasn't covered.

2. Found a HA-UUUUUUGE chunk of fat in the middle of my brisket I didn't notice before purchasing. I must admit it would have been impossible to see due to this chunk being under some muscle. Is this normal? I'm not complaining because all the meat under this tremendous slab of chub was truly fork tender.

3. Top of the meat was a little chewy/dry, i.e. the stuff under the normal layer of fat. Anything to do with the above comment w/ the layer being a touch thin?

4. Used just Kingsford and wood chips and it worked out well. The smokey taste wasn't as strong as I expected.

Surely will try this again. 5 of us killed that brisket and all of the sides.

Return to General Discussion