Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Seasoned & Christened the new Char-Griller

Seasoned & Christened the new Char-Griller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:43 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

Good question... I was thinkng the same thing about mine. Since I never have mine backed up to anything, I was going to put one on the back... where it didn't hang up when I opened it... but still giving it more thought.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:58 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

The Char-Griller already has a hole for thermometer at the opposite end of the firebox. If you insert a thermometer there, it will be located directly under the grates. This will give you an accurate reading of the temp at the food level. See pix.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:28 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

goldenbear wrote:
But one thing I noticed was that I had to use quite a bit of charcoal. Maybe 2.5 to 3 weber charcoal chimney full of briquettes. I did add a drip pan with water. Could this have slowed down my cooking process and the need for so much charcoal?

goldenbear,
Water pans do decrease the temp, but they also prevent temp spikes and keep your food moist. Did you leave the charcoal tray in the main chamber during smoking? And if you did, what level did you leave it on? If you leave the charcoal pan at the lowest position, it will help distribute the heat through out the smoking chamber and gives a place to put the water/drip pan on. However, if you leave it at a higher position, it will block the opening between the two chambers and limit the heat. When I leave the charcoal tray at the lowest position and put a water pan on it, I get much better temp control, and almost don’t have to adjust the vents to maintain a constant low temp.
I hope this helps.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:42 pm
goldenbear medium-rare
medium-rare

That's a GREAT idea to put a thermometer there! I used that hole on my first smoking session to put in my polder thermometer wire in to check to see if my chicken was done or not without even having to open the lid. I did notice 2 holes on that side so I guess I can use one for the thermometer and one for the probe thermometer.

I put the water pan on the lowest charcoal tray level. I think having the thermometer down there will help me guauge how much charcoal I need (and hopefully will use less than I did before).

Z, where did you get that thermometer? Is there a special one that I need? I do have a thermometer that I got with my basting set for Thanksgiving a few years back. Will this work? Or will I need a special thermometer for this purpose?

Also, how often do you replace your Aluminum Foil on your grill?

And what kind of car do you drive? A nissan Z? Just wondering cause I love the Z cars, too.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:20 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

goldenbear,
I got the thermometer from Linen& it was the kind you use for a deep fryer, but it did say on the label that it was a multi purpose. I picked it because it had a long probe, this way it can reach the mid point of the grill. It was only about $7.

I usually change the foil every 2-3 smoking sessions, or when it gets real messy.

I do drive a Nissan, but it’s not a Z. :( The Z refers to my name. I wish I had a Nissan Z, I also like them, but they’re not too practical when you have a family.

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:26 pm

Accoding to Char-Griller Company you do not need to remove the gunk before seasoning the grill, just apply oil and season according to the owner's manuel - Qman from Iowa.

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:22 pm
mac24312 medium
medium

Ok..

I just got mine but I have a question for you all...I want to go ahead and season my CG with the SFB I got pre assembled from Lowes Yesterday. :wink: The only thing I have is the Kingford Mesquite Instant Light Charcoal :cry: I dont want to have to run to town today..I am going to town tommorow but it is suppose to rain here the next 3 days after today...can I use that to season my grill..I only have a 4 lb bag also..do I need more than that? :?:

Thanks
HUGS
Christina

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:30 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

mac24312 wrote:
Ok..

I just got mine but I have a question for you all...I want to go ahead and season my CG with the SFB I got pre assembled from Lowes Yesterday. :wink: The only thing I have is the Kingford Mesquite Instant Light Charcoal :cry: I dont want to have to run to town today..I am going to town tommorow but it is suppose to rain here the next 3 days after today...can I use that to season my grill..I only have a 4 lb bag also..do I need more than that? :?:

Thanks
HUGS
Christina

I'd say you can use it since you aren't cooking any meat. No instant light for me when food is involved. That is, unless you like the taste of lighter fluid! :lol: 4 pounds may be enough. Do you have any wood chunks around? Small limbs fallen from a nearby hardwood tree? I would try to find a wood source of some kind to add some smoke. Are you wiping down the inside with veg oil/crisco, or spraying with PAM or something of the like? Keep us posted and good luck!

tex 8)

PS - If you bought it pre-assembled, I would make sure everything is tight and steady before seasoning. Probably a dis-interested highschooler that put it together. :wink:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:34 pm
mac24312 medium
medium

TY :wink:

I used to work for Lowes SO I know how that goes~~ :wink: :wink: Already made sure it was tight...

I do have wood chucks to use...I will try it...and post what happens..

TY!
HUGS!

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:38 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

mac24312 wrote:
TY :wink:

I used to work for Lowes SO I know how that goes~~ :wink: :wink: Already made sure it was tight...

I do have wood chucks to use...I will try it...and post what happens..

TY!
HUGS!

One last thing - no matter what you do, the paint on top of the side fire box is going to bubble up and burn off - no way around it. Most likely it will happen within the first or second fire you build in there. In order to keep rust at bay, wipe oil on the sfb after each use when it is still warm but cooling down. The heat will just get too intense. It even happens to the high dollar smokers. A little maintenance goes a long ways. :wink:

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:47 pm

That isn't all together true. You don't have to lose the paint on your firebox. I modified my firebox by adding steel "heat shields" on the inside to insulate the top of the firebox and lid. Here are some pics... about the middle of the page http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1467&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=3270

I also spray canola oil (from a spray bottle) onto the lid when before, during, and after cooking. The oil has "seasoned" the top of the firebox and I have had no bubbling/pealing paint issues after one year and about ten smokes.

Just some tips...

Twich
Chargriller Smokin-Pro
Chargriller Super-Pro
Big Brinkman Gasser

"Carry a big stick..."

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:59 pm
mac24312 medium
medium

BBcue-Z wrote:
The Char-Griller already has a hole for thermometer at the opposite end of the firebox. If you insert a thermometer there, it will be located directly under the grates. This will give you an accurate reading of the temp at the food level. See pix.

Ok...this is OLD but I just got my CG on Monday and I dont that hole to put my thermometer in :cry: Dont even have a hole shape to punch out..I REALLY dont want to put any holes in my CG for a Thermometer in the front.

What can I do?

TY
Christina
CG with SFB mod
Aussie Gas Grill
Very used Water Smoker

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:24 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

mac24312 wrote:
Ok...this is OLD but I just got my CG on Monday and I dont that hole to put my thermometer in :cry: Dont even have a hole shape to punch out..I REALLY dont want to put any holes in my CG for a Thermometer in the front.

What can I do?

TY
Christina

I checked out my Outlaw last night when I was cleaning it, and that hole is missing too. Must be a design change.

If you don't want to drill a hole in the body of your CharGriller, there are a couple of options that still might work, although you'll need to open the lid slightly to read the thermometer. One option is to stick an instant read thermometer or the probe from a digital thermometer right through a potato so the end is ticking out a couple of inches. i'd recommend a digital thermometer - the last time I used a dial-type instant-read thermometer, the plastic parts melted pretty badly.

An easier option is to get one of those metal oven thermometers that come attached to a metal stand. They're usually used inside your oven, but I've used mine inside my CG for two seasons now and they work very well even though they need regular cleaning.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:34 pm
mac24312 medium
medium

Glad to see another one dont have the hole either on your Outlaw
...:wink:
I think I will get another digital Thermometer and do the potato trick and let the cable come out the side and let it sit on the side planks... :wink: I got a Maverick remote one on Tuesday for my meat and I dont want to pay that price again for another one of those... :wink: I also have a Oven one I can sit right on the grates too... :wink:

TY!
CG with SFB mod
Aussie Gas Grill
Very used Water Smoker

Previous

Return to General Discussion