Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion weber 22 1/2 gold....help

weber 22 1/2 gold....help

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:05 am

I tried using my weber today for the first time and I tried cooking with lump coal and I wasnt happy it seemed that the lump coal didnt burn all the way to ash..it kinda went out....question

1. What position do i leave the bottom vent(where the ashes fall through) when cooking open or closed?

2. Is one chimney starter full going to be able to cook a bunch of chicken or will I need more

Sorry for these stupid question but, I felt like i wasnt getting the full expirence just using my gas genesis so I am trying to convert myself....and I got the burnt kuckles to show for it....lol

Thanks

SM

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:18 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome SM.

The vents should be at least half open on the bottom and the top.

It sounds like you snuffed the fire with vents that were open too little or not at all.

Lump should burn hot and leave little ash compared to briquet.

A full chimney should be enough to cook a grill full of bird but be ready to move if it flares up from the drippings.

A second grill full would require more fuel.

Do you have any of Stevens books?

How to grill goes into great detail regarding Weber kettles and 3 zone cooking to control flare ups and make the grill more versitile for cooking foods that require different heat at the same time.

Please register and join us. (sounds of sick, evil laughter :twisted: ) If you dare!
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:24 am
shakes rare
rare

I've always heard you should adjust the air flow with the intake and always leave the out vent open 100%. I have no idea if its true, but its always been the way I've approached the vents. In a Weber I think the vents wouldn't be the best way to control the temp anyways. I'd follow Yardburners advice and learn how to set up different temp zones on the grill.

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:02 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I've always left the bottom open and adjusted with the top. I have no problem controlling my temp this way and it's easy in combination with heat zones. Also, by adjusting the bottom vent;especially during a cook, it can kick up ash while the top one doesn't.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

shakes the vent control you mentioned is one that is practiced widely on the big rigs. Most pitmasters recommend leaving the stack vents full open to prevent the smoke from going stale and imparting a bitter flavor to the food. They will adjust the airflow with the firebox vents in needed.

Return to General Discussion