Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion base for sauce??

base for sauce??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:18 pm

Good Afternoon! I'm coming in a little late into this conversaiton, but I have another bone to throw into the fire. I'm from North Carolina and in my humble opinion, all barbeque sauces start from there - literally from the simple firey whole hog sauce on the coast then adding a little something sweet and a little something red when you pass Raleigh and head towards Lexington. Our barbeques are slow roasted and fantastic! Hope you enjoy messing with these.
Here are two base sauces I can contribute to this conversation: I usually don't add sugar to my mop sauce - the first one. And I ALWAYS make them both and use them together!! Dip into one, eat, dip into the other, eat...uuummmmm

North Carolina-Style Barbecue Sauce

1 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes; crushed
black pepper and Salt to taste

In a non-corrosive container, combine all ingredients and mix well. Don't expect something thick and sugary here - as you can see, no cooking required.

Piedmont North Carolina Style BBQ Sauce I

1 1/2 cups vinegar
10 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 pinch red pepper
salt and pepper

Cook over low heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:38 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I make a tweaked version of Steven's Basic Barbecue Sauce that my wife likes so well that she won't eat commercial sauces any more. Recently I made Steven's South Carolina mustard sauce from BBQ USA using honey. I added a little brown sugar after I tasted it. I like mustard-based sauce, so I liked it. My wife was less enthusiastic, but agrees that it's good enough to serve in addition to her favorite.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:23 pm
pizzakngjr medium-rare
medium-rare

I have done a mustard based sauce from the "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades" And I use it on Chicken breasts. I start out with a Dijon mustard and It has been very popular with friends and family. And "Z", you know Banga Cauda????

Previous

Return to General Discussion