Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Charcoal Baskets?

Charcoal Baskets?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:16 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

This may be a silly question, but other than too keep the charcoal from falling all over the place what is the purpose of using a charcoal basket in the firebox?
I have seen reference to them on other sites and was wondering if anyone here uses one.

RichD

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:37 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

I went an bought two boxes that fit in the Weber Kettle and tried them. After adding some wood chunks and a few more briquettes during the cooking the coals were spilling all over the place. I have decided it is just as easy to use the trusty small garden spade I have always used to bank up the coals where I want them. I am not sure I would bother spending the money for them again.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:14 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Since you mentioned a firebox, I believe we are talking about an offset smoker.

If you lay charcoal in the bottom of the firebox it will lie in its own ashes and smolder. This can make it very difficult to achieve temperature above 200 degrees and sometimes to even keep the fire lit. Some charcoal baskets lift the charcoal up off the bottom and allow the ash to drop though, thus allowing oxygen to flow freely to the fuel for a clean, hot, controllable burn.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:39 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Yes, I am refering to an offset. I don't build the fire on the bottom though. I put two grates in mine to span across the firebox and build my fire on that. This way I get good oxygen flow and can clean out the ashes as I need to. The only benefit I can see to it is that the coals won't fall all over the place. Although maybe you would get a longer minion burn as the coals wouldn't be so spread out, but rather more uniform and deeper.
I don't know. Maybe I'll make one for kicks and see what happens.

RichD

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:53 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

IMHO the best baskets are the ones for the Performer. The stamped out ones get clogged up quickly and don't allow the fire to breathe. The clip on rails are quite good as well but over time, the charcoal grate will warp due to these applying constant pressure to the grate under high temps.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:23 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Air, do you have a link for the baskets you mentioned?
I would like to take a look at them.
I will probably wind up fabricating one myself, but I would still like to take a look.

Thanks

RichD

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:54 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Nah no link but I'm sure you can find one. They're just the ones that come with a Performer. If you have someone selling them in your area, take a look.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:01 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Here's a link that may help: http://www.gasgrills.com/performer.html

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:55 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Thanks Bob. I took a look at them and they're like I suspected. Designed to fit the contour of a kettle. I don't think they would work to well with the offset. I have something in mind though. I'll have to go to my Brother In-law's fabrication shop and pick through his scrap pile.
I'll post a pic when I get around to making one.

RichD

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:57 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

www.weber.com/bbq/pub/support/part/sche ... ev=P821020

This is the link to the parts diagram @ Weber.com

the part number for the basket is 960080.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:06 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

RichD wrote:
Thanks Bob. I took a look at them and they're like I suspected. Designed to fit the contour of a kettle. I don't think they would work to well with the offset. I have something in mind though. I'll have to go to my Brother In-law's fabrication shop and pick through his scrap pile.
I'll post a pic when I get around to making one.

RichD

This may give you an idea on how to put one together (custom made to the shape of your firebox):

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:26 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Thanks Z. I actually was on that site already. In fact that is what prompted my question.

RichD

Return to General Discussion