Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hey Grand-Scale, and other Wild Bird eaters

Hey Grand-Scale, and other Wild Bird eaters

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Nukem medium-rare
medium-rare

You asked for some chuckar/quail recipies. I only have a few for the grill, and a bunch for the stove top and oven. So I'll give you the grill ones, if you want more, let me know and I'll hook you up. Nukem, is the name of my 5 year old German Shorthair Pointer, I thought that would be a cool name on a BBQ board.

Margarita Chuckar/Quail Phesant.

If you got big birds quarter them, if they are quail half them. I use whole birds, plucked, I work to hard to get wild birds so I believe in using everything even on doves... OOh, gots ideas on them also!

Anyway. Put your birds in a non-reactive bowl filled with either homemade or store bought margarita mix. (tequilia optional. One for the birds, two for me :wink: ) Toss in a cup of diced onion and two or three crushed cloves of garlic and some fresh ground pepper. Let this marranade for 6 hours, preferably 24.

Pop on your grill and over a med heat probably 15 min each side depending on how big your birds are. You may want to use a meat thermomiter. You can bast the birds with butter/garlic white wine (1 to 1 ratio on the butter white wine and as much garlic as you can take) if they are skinless to keep in some moisture.

Any BBQ chicken recipie will work well also.

Doves, or ducks.

Soak them in terriaki sause for a few hours, then get a knife and cut the meat along the breast bone so it is lifted up a bit and instert a sliver of seeded jalapino under each breast. Then wrap in bacon secure with tooth pick and toss on a grill for just a few minutes each side till the bacon starts to get crispy. (ducks longer cause they bigger, you may want to put them on indirect heat just so the meat gets cooked through a little more, however I like duck and goose rare) These are great appitisers! Most people really like them.

Let me know on the oven/stove top deal.

Where in So. Pa are you? My G-Pa has a farm in Williamsport. I shot my first Canada Goose this winter in Camp Hill.

Nukem
I can't eat this, there aint no meat!

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:37 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That sounds great, I can't wait to try it. Thanks for Sharing!
I hunt with a Chocolate Pointing Lab named after my Favorit Scotch. Balviene (Ballie for short). We chase all types of birds except turkey.
I'm about 20 miles South of Camp Hill, I went to College about 20 miles south of Williamsport, but didn't get to do much hunting up in that area.
I look forward to sharing bird recipes with you as the season gets near.

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:04 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Anyone here have Ted Nugents cookbook Kill it and Grill it?
Its on my wish list. I don't hunt but I might take it up to find some tasty animals to feed my smoker.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:18 pm
miltguy rare
rare

anyone ever have pronghorn? What's it like?

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:59 pm
Nukem medium-rare
medium-rare

I have seen Uncle Ted's book but haven't gotten it yet. Dispite some of the venison and wild boar I have, I really stick to birds. I just get lucky once in a while from a friend who hunts big game and has a small freezer! :lol:

Proghorn taste like deer that have eatin a lot of sage. More gamey than a deer that has been eating out of a corn/hay field all summer. We ate a lot of that (antelope) growning up. I like it, and would eat it again!

Ok, Here is a quick and easy recipe for wild birds.

Half your duck, quail, chuckar, Phesant, crow ( :wink: ) whatever. Then Salt and Pepper it.

Brown it in a stick of butter. When it is brown add a cup of apple cider with a teaspoon of cinnomin mixed in. Bring to a boil, then drop to a simmer, cover, and let simmer for 20 min (big birds, 10 min for small birds Quail)

After that flip them, add a couple cups of diced apple to it, and cover again for another 20 min. Pull the meat and the apples. Take that sauce that is in there and reduce it some, then add flower while wisking so you can make a nice gravey. Serve the gravey over egg drop noodles. My wife loves this, and she isn't much on wild game.

I know it isn't Q, but man, its good!

Nukem
I can't eat this, there aint no meat!

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:26 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks Nukem, that sounds good too.

Return to General Discussion