Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Went to Lowe's for nail's..came home w / a Char-Griller

Went to Lowe's for nail's..came home w / a Char-Griller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:43 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

For those interested, I found the Weber charcoal chimney at Home Depot. I got fed up with the cheapies I had been buying, and love it!

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:54 am

Bob-bqn,
Question,
Is it possible to go to Wal-Mart without going to Lwn & Garden first?
You Kill It, I'll Grill It

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:09 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Hi Taco's place, and Welcome to the board :lol: .

I think we all know what Bob's answer to your question will be :wink: , but only he can answer that for sure.

In my case, I would say yes, providing they had an entrance thru the Sporting Good's Dept. :lol: YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:32 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm with YB2!
Bob's offenjoying some BBQ for a bit but I'm sure he goes to the Outdoor sections on his way in and on his way out, just incase he missed something the first time.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:34 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Dominic is there another door? :wink:

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:13 pm
Grillzilla rare
rare

I love my Char giller. Seems to be a great all around grill. I have done tons of indirect grilling and smoking in it from beer can chicken, ribs, roasts to the Bean Hole baked beans and had great sucess. See my post in testamonials for Fathers Day.

My Brother in law was going to leave my house after the Fathers day cook out and buy one.

Have fun and experiment you won't be disappointed.
"The more you learn to grill the less I have to cook" My Wife

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:24 pm

Hi Grillzilla,

I love mine too. Haven't got to play with it as much as I'd like yet though.

Are you anywhere near my neck of the wood's? YB2

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:00 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ok now with several weeks of experimenting under my belt I have a question about the Chargriller for anyone who may know.
Tell me how you start (beyond lighting...I know that) and maintain your fire in your side box.
I've tried a couple different ways and I'm not sure I've found "the one" yet. Ways I've tried so far:
Hot Lump with Wood on top & Wood Until done
Cold Lump With Hot Lump on top, with Wood on top of that until Done.
And a few other tries with the above combinations but in different proportions.
All have worked and produced good food but I'm always looking and interested in better ways. Plus I'm using alot of wood, maybe thats to be expected though, since historically for me Gas was heat wood was flavor, now I'm pushing wood to do both.
What do you guys do, I know that this is one of those personal preference things that there are many ways thtat work, so I'm not really looking for a "this is what you must do" answer but more of "this is what I like and why"
Also do you differently depending on the length of you cook.
Thanks

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:12 pm
Grillzilla rare
rare

I start with one or two chimneys worth of lump toss on some cold and let the temp build and start to stabilize. Sometimes I toss some Oak on that I have split into narrow wedges to build up a coal base. Once I have the temp stable for 15-20mins I will toss in the meat, put a couple of handfuls of lump on the fire and a little soaked wood for smoke. I saw or read somewhere after a couple of hours the meat will not absorb any appreciable amout of smoke flavor so I try and do all the smoke in the beginning. I add a handfull or so of lump every 20-30 mins. Seems to work. My last batch of ribs/ and some re-warming of stuff cooked the night before used about a bag of lump and a small amount of my apple chunks. Pretty cheap for the results.
"The more you learn to grill the less I have to cook" My Wife

Previous

Return to General Discussion