Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Question for Grandscale, YB2 or anyone whose done a pig

Question for Grandscale, YB2 or anyone whose done a pig

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Big D well done
well done

As mentioned before, I am of course getting a whole suckling pig, in addition to the many many other items I am cooking for Canada Day (July 1st). I have decided to scale back to a 20-25lb pig because I have been getting many requests for my legendary burgers and beer can chicken as well as lobster, lamb, kabobs, steaks, etc. In addition to the fact we have a hunting trip for a wild boar scheduled for late July and will get (guarnteed because if we dont bag a free range one they also have a pen) a large boar then so people will get their fill then.

Anyways I am now debating having my butcher butterfly the pig for me or re-sow the pig after dressing it so I can just slide a skewer up its rear and out its mouth and doing it on the rotisserie. My question is, do you know if the Rotisserie that comes with the Summit Gold D can handle up to 25lbs (I have only tried a few birds at once) As well I am told the pig is quite small in size with that kinda weight so I dont imagine it would be to small of room to turn but will have to tie the legs in close to the body

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:23 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

D- My take on it would be this...
As long as you're going to do it, it doesn't matter wether you butterfly it open or spit it, that piggy is going to monopolize your whole grill. So I'd say to stick with the butterfly. It is so easy. I can't say easier as I haven't spitted one yet but based on what I know almost anything has to be more complicated that a butterflied pig. It was really that easy. I thought anyway.
As to the gusto of the rotiss. I've done a 12 pound turkey without a problem. I will share a sneakily clever idea that one of the gang here shared with me regarding clearance. Take the grates out. Yeah I know it seem obvious but yours truely didn't think of it at the time so it bears repeating. That gives you all the clearance from flavorizer bars to lid that you'll ever need.

I seem to recall sharing my whole hog experiences here at least twice but can't remember the threads. Try those for some more ideas, even though those times were on a trailer and not my D, the principle is the same.

Also since our senses of style (or lack there-of some may argue :wink: ) are similar, may I reccomend that you adorne your piggy with sunglasses and a beercan (empty) instead of an apple. The old addage goes that when the piggy bites the apple/can he's done. But I still trust my thermometer instead of some drunk pig! :lol:

Hope that helps.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:50 pm
Big D well done
well done

Actually already thought of the sunglasses, the beercan is good. I already have plans to take a picture of the pig with a stogie in its mouth and one in mine and send it to cigar aficinado as I am an avid subscriber and have yet to have my pic in it

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:57 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Make your pig a hat out of half of a Melon. You can always decorate the melon hat with all kinds of stuff. Have you seen the smiley face I made for my beer can chicken?

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:17 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Big D, sorry but I can't offer much advice on doing a whole pig as I haven't done one yet. But my instinct would be to go w / a butterfied one as G.S. has suggested. I'd hate for you to be well into the cook and then have the rotis crap out on you.

Where are you headed for your hog hunt? Sound's great... oh yeah, practice your emergency tree climbing skill's NOW, they can be some mean little bugger's :shock: .

Have you ever cooked or eaten wild boar before? It's quite different than domestic pork...very lean. If you haven't, feel free to PM me if you'd like some recipes :lol: . YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:42 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Big D please share that photo and any others you take. I'd love to see one of your events. Since you're a bit to far away I can't crash it, so I'll have to settle for pictures.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:19 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Ditto on the photos. I hope you'll take enough so that we can feel as if we were there! :D

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:19 am
Big D well done
well done

Ya I have had wiold boar before,,, went on a Boar hunting trip in Brazil before and they are crazy.. bas to where I am growing there is a guy who farms them in Nov a SCotia, ery small to order type place. He has a huge lot inwhich he lets a pig loose a few days before the hunt and if you dont catch it by the time you have to depart you just pick one from the pen.

As for pictures I have asked to borrow my father's digital camera and hope to capture many!

Thanks for the advice

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:43 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

I saw a hunting show on T.V. a couple of year's ago about Wild Boar hunting in Brazil
( might have been Argentina ) and it definately WAS crazy. The Guide ended up killing the charging Boar w / a handgun at about feet from them.

I was watching from the comfort of my livingroom and it still made the hair on the back of my neck stand up :shock: YB2

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:38 am
Big D well done
well done

heheeheh yup/// I was 15 at the time I belive and we were all told that if we saw the boar start to charge at usfor everyone to just fire everything they got and if it was still coming to jump behind the jeep.... luckily it was a nice clean day with no real danger... but man can pigs run

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:53 am

You got that right !

Before I started hog hunting I didn't know they could run very fast either, until I was watching a bow hunting video and when a guy missed the hog the arrow spooked it, that thing took off like a F-14, ran right off a 5 ft. rock ledge, hit the ground at full throttle, and never broke stride :shock: . I gained a whole lot of respect for those meatball's with leg's after I saw that. YB2

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:00 am
Big D well done
well done

mmmm meatball with legs

Grizzlies are crazy too. They can live an entire mintue without a heart, My first hunting trip ever my Uncle shot a Grizzly about 15 feet away that was standing up ready to attack growling with a 10 gauage (elephant gun) shotgun. Blew a big old whole out of its chest and was only winded... luckily there was 4 of us and I shot one sholder so it couldnt move and a more experienced hunt er shot it in its neck to kill it instantly.... I always feel a little bad when its not an instant kill but seein the thing starding there with no heart still goin scared the $hit outta me ;)

mmmm meatball with legs

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:01 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Sorry, forgot to log in above.

Return to General Discussion