Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion brands of charcoal?

brands of charcoal?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:12 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I use Kingsford for briquettes, and Maple Leaf brand lump charcoal. The latter is made in Canada, and I think it's from maple or oak. Not much mequite up here, except in wood chunks.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:03 pm
hawgpimp rare
rare

I've got new info! Blackwood Canyon makes a 100% natural briquette called Big Briq, sold at Meijers and Andersons. I'm using it the the modified Brinkmann Gourmet and smoking a 10# butt aand 10#'s of smoked bologna and the temps are steady, the ash clean and minimal. Big thumbs up.Works just like lump but has all the advantages of briquettes with none of the drawbacks. Check it out, guys.
"Listen, I didn't get to where I am today, worrying what I was gonna feel like tomorrow" Ron White

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:44 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Hawgpimp, do you have a link to Blackwood Canyon. I'd like to see what they have.
I got a good deal on gourmet lump this weekend. $3.99 for a 10 pound bag.
Glad to hear it worked for you.

RichD

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:01 am

[quote="starpacker"]The only charcoal I use doesn't have a brand name. I buy it at a liquor store in Casa Grande (AZ), and the bags are simply marked 'Mesquite Charcoal.' I buy it in the 40 lb bag for $14.00 a pop, and won't use anything else. I discovered it when my wife and I had our mobile hot dog stand, and it does all I ask of it. I am trying to find out how I might possibly link up directly with the maker, in Mexico, in the event the liquor store decides to discontinue it.

Smart & Final carries that mesquite. Been buying it for about 3 or 4 years now. All over the place here in southern California.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:59 am

Rich, go to bigbriq.com and you can see the specs and comparisons.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:53 pm
McSherry rare
rare

I tend to use Kingsford because if you buy it at costco it's the cheapest available. To be honest though, I've never noticed much difference brand to brand. We have Fred Meyer stores up here (think slightly upscale wal*mart) and I've used their house brand a few times. It seems about the same.

I like chef's wood lump for direct grilling however.
"The bigger the headache, the bigger the pill."
-George Clinton

Previous

Return to General Discussion