Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion brands of charcoal?

brands of charcoal?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:49 pm
hawgpimp rare
rare

:?: I know most people on here are devotees of lump, as is Steven (saw him using Real Flavor at the Lex Vegas, KY book signing ). I just am not that impressed with Real Flavor because of its tendency to be sold at stores with demolition derby drver-in-training and future strongman sack flingers that reduce it to small scraps that won't stay in my charcoal grates. So, I still use a lot of briquettes and I want the opinions of the BBQ brain trust of their prefernce for brands.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:35 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

If I'm using briquetts I use Kingsford. I have used this brand burning the minion method in my smoker and I have never had them affect the taste of my food.
I also use Royal Oak natural lump. This is what most of the stores in my neck of the woods carries and it seems to burn quit well.
Hope that helps.

RichD

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:33 pm
Aroberts rare
rare

I usually use Cowboy lump charcoal (I believe "Cowboy" is the name of the brand) that I purchase at Lowe's Home and Garden. I also use Chef's Wood Mesquite charcoal. Usually Chef's Wood is cut into bigger chunks of wood, do they don't always fall through the grate.
I'm not an expert on lump charcoal, however. I use these brands because they are the only lump charcoal brands I can find near my house.

Also, I always keep my bottom vents closed when I pour charcoal from the chimney starter into the grill. It keeps the small pieces of charcoal that slip through the grate in the grill.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:38 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

I use Kingsford sometimes, but mostly I use California Hot Wood Lump, (it's a mesquite). Don't know if it's the best, but it's what I'm used to.

http://www.hotwood.com/

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:47 pm
AKGriller rare
rare

I can only find Royal Oak lump in my area, it seems to work pretty good. I would like to try others if i can find them. Going to The Twin Cities soon for a concert, might look around down there for a grill shop. As long as I have used quality name briquettes never had bad tasting meat.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:46 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

BBQ Galore sells a brand of briquettes that I find to be very good. And Whole Foods stores sell a brand of lump charcoal that is good sized and clean. I think it is most important to pick a brand and consistently use it so you learn what it will do.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:05 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've used Kingsford for sure, no problems there. Been playing around with Walmart brand briquet. The pieces are much larger. So far that's all I can say.

Lump has been Cowboy and Humphrey's, the latter being quite reliable and consistant in chunk size. Good mix of quick lighting smaller bits and larger, long burning chunks. Not much dust.

I want to try the coconut stuff, when I find it locally. (I hate to pay shipping living in a major metropolitan area. Just have to dig a little)
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:59 am
hawgpimp rare
rare

Stopped by the Wild Oats here in Lexington where I work and am trying their lump. Doing babybacks and trying to make up my mind whether to smoke or do Rendevouz-style grilled(ah the choices one must make, lol) Will report my findings next week.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:17 am
spfranz well done
well done

YardBurner - sorry but you won't find the extruded coconut charcoal anyplace locally. It's made by the Kamado company and they don't retail. However, if you go to their site and look at their forum, there's an area where people who want to split pallet orders can hook up. The shipping charges drop off by quite a bit with a full pallet order.

AKGriller - when you head down to Minneapolis, there's a store in White Bear Lake called The Outdoor Cooking Store. They carry a few different kinds of charcoal and wood. A great store if you've never been there. All they sell is grills, smokers, and everything to go with them. If you're down during the week, you can stop by Northwest Charcoal and Chemical company in Minneapolis. They sell wood and charcoal to restaurants but will also sell retail if you stop by.

Everyone else - you can find a large database comparing all kinds of lump charcoal at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm. Very good site and great info.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:38 am
Aroberts rare
rare

spfranz, thanks for posting that lump charcoal review website! That's just what I've been looking for. Lots of really good information- everyone should check it out.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:59 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Great link Scott. I'm going to spend some time there when I get a free moment.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:41 pm
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

The only charcoal I use doesn't have a brand name. I buy it at a liquor store in Casa Grande (AZ), and the bags are simply marked 'Mesquite Charcoal.' I buy it in the 40 lb bag for $14.00 a pop, and won't use anything else. I discovered it when my wife and I had our mobile hot dog stand, and it does all I ask of it. I am trying to find out how I might possibly link up directly with the maker, in Mexico, in the event the liquor store decides to discontinue it.

For smoke, I like Barbeceuer's Delite, and need to order from them directly, as Wal-Mart here only carries their Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 pellets. I also buy the mesquite and hickory wood chunks at Wally World.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:19 am
farmgirl

spfranz, where is The Outdoor Cooking Store in White Bear? I would be coming in on 94 from the Wisconsin side. Thanks for the info for Ribfest I plan on attending.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:45 pm
spfranz well done
well done

You can find a map and directions on their web site at http://www.outdoorcookingstore.com/About_top.cfm?state=store. They have hours of operation on the same page.

Glad you can make it to RibFest. Always a good time!

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:33 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

I like Kingsford. I have not found a place that sells lump up here in Colorado. Any suggestions of where I could find it. What is the price difference in the two?
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Next

Return to General Discussion