Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hello everyone, have a couple of questions

Hello everyone, have a couple of questions

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:37 pm
Just Q It raw
raw

I just recently got a new smoker Chargriller w/SFB so I'm very new to slow cooking but through this board I'm learning some good things.

First question and I'll keep it basic, in other words I wont throw in questions about wood chunks and lump charcoal although I do use them.
I've done ribs, pulled pork and brisket and of course different foods take different amount of times to cook but how much charcoal do you use to slow cook your food, it seems like I'm going through alot, like an entire 20 lb bag or more at one setting, is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Second question, I have a chance to get an electric smoker for free, Brinkmanns Gourmet.
Do I need to use lava rocks with this smoker or can I just wrap up some wood chips in foil and throw them at the bottom of the smoker.
Also is it possible to change this smoker from electric to charcoal if I wanted too?
If I remove the heating element than whats the difference between a charcoal smoker and electric smoker?

Well thats all the questions for now, hope they dont seem too newbie-ish more will soon to follow.
Thanks for the help.

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Ian Mack well done
well done

Hi and welcome!
It sounds like you may have the vents on your unit "wide open", try closing the vents down, thus starving the fire of oxygen, it should drop the temps and give you a better consumption.
The Brinkmann Gourmet electric doesn't use lava rocks, instead it should come with a small pan (like a frying pan without the handle) this sits on top of the element, and you put wood chips into this.

It is easy to use a as a charcoal unit, just take the electrics out.

The main difference between elec and charcoal, is convenience. I personally like playing with fire, so prefer the charcoal units.

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:37 pm
Just Q It raw
raw

Thanks Ian
I will check on the vents the next time I use the smoker, about how much space should I leave for an opening about a 1/4 of the way open, more or less?
Is 10-20 lbs of charcoal still an unusal amount of charcoal to use?
About how much do people use when they smoke so i can get an idea?

As for the electric smoker, it does have lava rocks, a whole bag came with the smoker.
Its not the big size like you would use for a gas grill but small pieces.
Anyway if I do decide on taking the smoker I think I will turn it into a chracoal smoker

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:42 pm
squashed possum well done
well done

i'm new to the board, but i've had my CG with side firebox for almost a year. there are many factors that contribute to fuel consumption. outdoor temp,wind, amount of food on the CG are just a few. i use royal oak lump and i can go through 2 10lb bags on a pork butt. that's why i try to do more than just one thing. i'll do some chicken with my butt or ribs, and ABT's are manditory every time my rig is fueled up.

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:06 pm
HoosierTrooper medium-well
medium-well

Are you using charcoal baskets sitting on top of the grate in the firebox, or are you putting it in the bottom of the firebox?
If there's no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:30 pm
Just Q It raw
raw

Bottom of the firebox

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:32 pm
squashed possum well done
well done

yea, you need to make the SFB mod. your coals are probably smothering out before they fully burn. at the very least, use the grate they give you for cooking(which i never used it for that) and put the coals on it. leave it in place with the bolts that keep it suspended. you will see a world of difference.

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:42 pm
HoosierTrooper medium-well
medium-well

Yeah squashed possum is right. That is the most innefficient way to use the firebox.You can order the baskets from Chargriller for $9.99 each. Two will fit in the firebox on top of the flat cooking grate. They will pay for themselves in no time in saved fuel. If you're handy you can make them yourself. Check out the Chargriller thread that's stickied at the top of the page. Several guys give details on how to make them.
If there's no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:54 am
Just Q It raw
raw

Thanks for the information about the Chargriller thread, now alot of what was posted here is starting to make sense. :D
It seems like a :idea: went on the more I started reading through that thread.
Just have to excuse me for being such a newbie.

Return to General Discussion