Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Can I Smoke and Freeze?

Can I Smoke and Freeze?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:07 pm
GBitto rare
rare

Only the two of us - don't need to smoke a whole lot at one time, but,
Would it make sense to smoke a few extra rib racks or another roast, take them out before completely done, and freeze? Could finish the ribs on grill, roast on grill or oven. Figured it would be easier to justify smoking if it weren't just for 1 or 2 racks.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:18 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

You could conceivably do this with ribs. i know some resteraunts do this so that they can ship thier product all across the country.
You would want to vacume pack them or make sure htey are wrapped tightly in plastic wrap then butchers paper. I'm not sure how long they will keep in the freezer though.
I don't know how this would work with things like pork shoulder, chickens etc.
Good luck though.

RichD

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:03 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Pork shoulder is one thing that freezes and reheats very nicely assuming that you have a vacuum sealer. Smoke it, pull it, and seal it. Then just defrost and reheat it in the bag so the moisture stays with it. Comes out very nice.

If you like it with sauce, freeze it without the sauce and heat with it. That will also keep the moisture in.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:38 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Scott,

You just gave me one heck of an idea. I think I will do a roast, pull it and pack it in single serving sizes packs and freeze them to have around for lunch when I want.

Thanks

RichD

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:19 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I do this also and reheat like boil in bag. This has a more even heat that zapping 'em.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:17 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

We have vac-sealed and frozen many meats without problems. Brisket, whole chickens (they get a little crushed) roast, pulled pork (before and after pulling), ribs, and even a whole turkey.

The turkey wasn't vacuumed, we lost power and to preserve it we threw it, roasting pan and all, in the deep freezer with ice blocks and the other frozen meats. When the power came back on we remembered it the next morning and transferred the frozen turkey to a refrigerator. It reheated well and received compliments from everyone.

We don't leave the smoked meats in the freezer long enough to get frost bit so I don't know the maximum length you can keep BBQ in the freezer. But I would recommend loading the smoker when you cook, you'll save fuel in the long run, and freeze anything you won't be eating within a week.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:13 pm
Loene rare
rare

There are just 2 of us also. I have done briskette and ribs before and than freeze them. I also use the vac sealer, love that thing. I do know that if you seal it right, you have about 6 months of good meat. I have eaten the meat that is over a year old, lost a bag in the freezer, and I couldn't tell that it was that old. I just know that they say meat will last for 6 months before a chance of freezer burn. Then I just let it thaw in the frig and then once thawed, toss it in the oven on 350 with foil around it and heat it up. I leave it for about 30 min or till nice and warm.
Thats just my 2 cents worth, dont worry about it, I have a big full jar of pennies

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:47 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Meat that has been properly vacum sealed and frozen will easily keep a year or more in the freezer. I'd imagine cooked meat would last a bit longer than uncooked would also. YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:31 am
Big Belly rare
rare

As Yankee Bill stated, I can only assume that a properly sealed cooked meat package will last as long as the manufacturer suggests it shall last...
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:10 am
GBitto rare
rare

Thanks for the responses, all. Guess I'll try a couple racks and a shoulder this weekend. Gonna be home getting ready for Father's Day, might as well spend the time smokin' as well.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:54 pm
MrEd rare
rare

Thanks for the pointers. Yesterday I volunteered to smoke some butts for a campout but did not want to waste the whole day on the campout tending the smoker. Looks like I can cook them the weekend before, That way I can enjoy both the fishing and the smoked pork :)

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:35 pm
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

We have a FoodSaver Vac450, and have vacuum-sealed and frozen a considerable amount of meats and other foods, and find that the maker's claims are indeed accurate, even though most items never make it anywhere near the maximum time, but those that have, taste exactly like they did the day they were prepared.

To quote the user's manual, meats properly cooked and vacuum-sealed can be kept up to 3 years in the frozen state. I have stored a good deal of BBQ'd and smoked meat, plunk the frozen vacuum bag in a pot of boiling water, and it is delicious when heated up. For ribs, I pour a bit of sauce in with the meat, stick the bag in the freezer for a couple of hours,, then vacuum-seal it. When heated in boiling water to temp, it is to die for.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:40 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

starpacker thanks for that freezer tip prior vacuum sealing! I'll be sure to let the wife know about that. She hates it when the juices get sucked into the sealer.

Return to General Discussion