Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How to Grill Book Question

How to Grill Book Question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:12 pm
Big D well done
well done

JotaDe,

First off, welcome to the board! I sincerely hope you stick around and pick up some useful tips aswell as provide your own insights and observations and perhaps the occassional photo.

As for a small Q, dont let that get ya down. If it can make a flame its worth of cooking on! I am so fortunate to own a mammoth Gold D but still cook on a tiny gas grill from time to time at such places as my cottage.. If it'll fit my steak and or burger I am more than thrilled... mmmm BBQ

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:19 pm
JotaDe raw
raw

Thanks Big D,
I certainly have a feeling of "I'm not worthy" ala Wayne's World in giving pointers here, but I've already learned plenty of useful info and will continue to scour these forums to pick up all I can.
The apt. I live in doesn't allow for charcoal BBQ's which also made the decision for me to go to gas easier.

However going from not grilling period to being able to enjoy at least some burgers and steaks makes it all worthwihile.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:58 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

JotaDe glad you joined us. I've been told that this is an addiction so I guess your hooked :wink: . Hope you'll stick around. You'd be surprised how some of the simplest hints from new members have helped even some of us, set-in-our-ways, seasoned cooks. Don’t be intimidated to offer a tip.

I started out on a charcoal hibachi when I first got married. Two burgers loaded it up. Man you’ve got it good!

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:26 pm

1) Wow, I didnt realize you were supposed to cook with the lid open when direct grilling. My Weber B manual seems to always say to keep the lid closed. So should I follow the Weber Manual or the How To Grill Book?

2) I did Baby Back Ribs for the first time and I think I somehow messed up. I first marinated them in apple cider for 2 hrs, then another 2 hrs with the basic bbq rub. I lthen aid them rib side down in the middle of my Weber B with only the front and rear burners on. I tried to keep the temp around 350. I sprayed both sides with apple cider a few times but always kept the rib-side down. After about an hour I took the ribs off, but they were kinda burnt and were really really dry.
Should I flip them next time? Should I use a rib rack? Temp too high/low? Any other tips/suggestions?

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:48 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

1) As a guideline, thinner, fast cooking foods over a direct heat are cooked with the lid open. This allows you to attend to the items that will cook in a short amount of time and monitor their progress so they don't burn. If you're giving them a quarter turn for a nice set of grill marks then you'll be moving them a lot anyway and won't need to close the lid.

1a) However, if you're trying to impart smoke flavoring in the food items you'll probably want to shut the lid. You'll also be cooking over a lower temperature fire and won't have to move or turn the food as often. Thicker meats, like Jamaican Jerk Pork, are cooked with the lid down on a lower heat and can stay on the grill 40 to 60 minutes. To control flare-up’s you can close the lid or sprits with water. It’s all a matter of technique for what works best with what you’re cooking. You may want to cook in two rounds, half with the lid open and half with it close to see which works best for you. Try it with burgers, chicken, steak or fish and see if you notice a difference then decide if you should cook with the lid open or closed.

2) Sounds like the heat was too high for those ribs. They will cook faster on a grill than a smoker, but shouldn’t be burnt or dry. Next time try a lower gentler heat. Did you have a drip pan under them? And did you have a pan of water in your grill? These two items will help yield better results. Yes, You should turn the ribs on a grill before basting. Turning is not necessary on smoker though. How was the flavor? We’ve had a lot of discussion on ribs in the past so if you’ll do a search on the board you will find more information that will help.

Good luck on the next batch. They’ll get better each time you cook them and soon you’ll be dazzling folks taste buds! :D

Previous

Return to General Discussion