Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How to Grill Book Question

How to Grill Book Question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:13 pm

I got the book 'How to Grill' and its real nice. It has alot of recipes but all of them only lists the time the food should grill and direct or indirect cooking, but not what the tempeture setting on the grill should be (low, med, high, etc)
Am I missing something?

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:02 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Hey guest,

Check out page 20 of HTG. There is a temperature chart. I would guess that the exact temperatures for the recipes are vague because the actual cooking temperature for any grill is highly variable. Experience at cooking on your grill, and a good journal of your experience is the best way to learn temperatures.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:07 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

HI, I'm assuming you are on a gas grill.

On page 21 Steven talks about heat control.

The recipes that make use of direct grilling include in the set-up instructions testing the grill for high heat. For instance HTG fish filets starting on page 295 includes in the instructions, setting up the grill on page 296 picture #3 test for high heat.

Using a multi zone cooking surface most things start over high to sear and carmelize the can be moved to a cooler zone to finish or moved if they flare up and start to burn.

All equipment is different. Your grill cooks differently depending on outside temps and the wind. You just have to adjust and learn. Fortunately, even the failures can be mighty tasty!

I'm sure some of the other nutcases that prowl and lurk around here will chime in with different points of view and other hard earned personal tips.

I don't think a week goes by without all of us learning something new or a different way of doing a dish or technique.

Please, register and join us, (if you dare!) :twisted:
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:08 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Larry, you type faster and come to the point quicker than me. :P
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:21 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

YB is right on

Get to know your eqiupiment, what it will do in different situations. You are working toward getting consistent results everytime. Cook for your tastes and those of the folks you cook for.

On my gasser I don't have the luxury of setting up different heat zones, but I still can put out decent grub because I really watch the temps, and always check the grate temps, so I know that if I set the grill this way or that way, I know what's going on when the meat hits the grill.

You'll see a bunch of talk around here about thermometers, they really are your best friend. Invest in a good oven thermometer and a good instant read thermometer. They are great tools for putting out great food all the time.

As your knowledge and experience increase you'll be surprised at great your food tastes.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:31 am
messickzr rare
rare

Is there a temp to aim for when indirect grilling on a gasser? I try to stay around 325-350. This can be tough with my new Weber Genesis Gold B, as it likes to cook higher than that with even just the front burner on! Of course that is on these days that are 80 degrees plus.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:29 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Is that temp. based on the hood therm. or an oven therm. on the cooking grate?

Hood therms are usually off by quite a bit.

You could also try propping the lid open just a bit to cool it down.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:05 pm
messickzr rare
rare

That's with an oven thermometer on the grate. I hadn't really thought about cracking the lid a little.

edit: The hood therm seems to vary quite a bit, it can read high one day and right on the next.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:56 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

On a tangent: Is it just a regular oven therm. that you put on the grate?

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:10 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yeah. I wait for 'em to go on sale at the grocery store and pick up a couple. Or Wally World.

If you rub ivory soap onto the dial face before you put it in the smoker the soot washes right off
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:06 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Rob,

Its amazing the tips that one can pick up here. Soap on the face of a theremometer. Certainly beats my method of a wire brush. :lol:

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:30 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

They last a lot longer too.

When I do beans in either a pyrex casserole or cast iron on the grill or in the smoker I rub the outside with Ivory bar soap. Soot won't stick. I can't remember where I first heard of this, but it works.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:28 pm

I also just picked up this book, and another question I have is
are you supposed to grill with or without the lid closed when it isn't mentioned?
I usually grill burgers, chicken breasts, fish filets, steaks etc. but I don't know whether to close the lid or not.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:37 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Guest all of the items mentioned that you typically cook are usually grilled with the lid open. If however, you are using a dual zone or indirect heat, and wood chips to add a smoky flavor to any of the above you can cook with the lid close. Cooking with the lid closed is more for the larger cuts of meat like brisket, butts, roasts and 2" thick steak & chops. When closing the lid to cook, make sure you have your vents open enough to allow air flow to the fuel or your fire will extinguish.

Since you have the book, consider registering and joining in!

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:08 pm
JotaDe raw
raw

Thanks Bob-BQN,
I have a cheapo Aussie Bushman gas grill with only a LT and RT burner.
I didn't do much research on my first grill other than I knew I wanted something small, under $120, gas, and that didn't look like the mother ship just landed on my porch.
It's been doing the job so far, but since I've got that book and been snooping around this site I'm already noticing helpful features that I don't have :roll:

I just registered but I was just trying to break in easy since the wife already sees a BBQ obsession coming on :D

-formerly known as guest

Next

Return to General Discussion