Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoking Question

Smoking Question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:43 pm
ATLQ

I am smoking a Boston Butt for the first time. Rather than a large 10 pounder taking all day, how will I come out on time doing say, (2) 5-6 pounders?

Thank you in advance!

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:55 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Your best friend is a good instant read thermometer. I usually do butts to an internal temp. of 185. I slice mine, I've read if you are going for pulled pork go a little higher up around 195.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:30 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

ATLQ

To do those butts proper, even with smaller pieces, I believe you are still going to need a good 12 hours. The first time I tried small a pork butt, about 5 pounds, I learned you need that time. We had take out pork from the local BBQ joint. :cry: Besides, you really need all the fat on a big roast to melt away in the process.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:31 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Your time on a but is going to depend on your cooking temerature and how youlike it done. I would use a remote thermometer like one of the Polder digitals so that you can monitor you internal temp without opening the smoker. The more you open the smoker the more you add to the time.
If you want good sliced but 180 -185 is a good temp. If you want to pull it you need to bring the temp to at least 195 or 200.
You want to smoke them at an average of 230 to 250 degrees. The meat wil get to 160 relativly quickly. Then it will sit at that temp for a while as the fat renders down. Once it starts to move it wil do so quickly. I smoke mine for about 2 hours to let the rub set before I start to mop.
A fair estimate depending on your conditions is 4 - 6 hours.
Hope this helps a little.

RichD

Return to General Discussion